Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   38' Sport Cruiser ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/211879-38-sport-cruiser.html)

Nichols92 06-28-2009 02:21 PM

38' Sport Cruiser ?

I came across a deal on a 38' SC that I cant pass up. The only issue is it is a 1991 :eek:. When did they start making them and what are some changes they have made? It has staggered engines and I noticed the newer ones do not, why is that? I also was talking with a friend and he said the hull is not stepped on the 91's, is that true?

RaggedEdge 06-28-2009 07:47 PM

Newer ones have an aft cabin area which would not allow for the staggered set up. They are entirely different boats from the current EC's, not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

Nichols92 06-28-2009 08:15 PM

When did they do away with the staggered engines? Every other year I have seen has side by side setups, even 1992's. Was there a problem with staggered?

t500hps 06-28-2009 09:03 PM

Is this boat in VA? A local guy has an older staggered 38 for sale from that era. Don't know much about the boat but can tell you that seller is a straight up character. Good Luck

Nichols92 06-28-2009 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2898716)
Is this boat in VA? A local guy has an older staggered 38 for sale from that era. Don't know much about the boat but can tell you that seller is a straight up character. Good Luck

It is. Just spoke to him and it sounds like he is going to keep it now. What do you mean he is a character? I kind of got the feeling he was after talking to him a couple times. Either way I am still curious about them as I really like them.

t500hps 06-29-2009 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nichols92 (Post 2898761)
It is. Just spoke to him and it sounds like he is going to keep it now. What do you mean he is a character? I kind of got the feeling he was after talking to him a couple times. Either way I am still curious about them as I really like them.

straight up character, meaning he's an honest guy.......and tell him he needs to sell it and get a little water rocket like the rest of the guys on the "Chick"!! :)

fountain 47 sc 06-29-2009 08:29 AM

I have a 47 sport cruiser (97) and it is a great boat. The 38 is a trailable boat but much smaller inside than the new 38 EC. The boat is more like a 38 lightning with a taller deck so you can stand up in the cabin. The hulls and engine configurations on both the 47 and 38 Sport Cruisers followed the lightnings (i.e. small steps in 95-96, larger steps in 97, 3rd generation steps thereafter). Far fewer staggered engine configurations were made in the 38 model because room in the cockpit was more of a focus than speed. All 47's were triples. They were both introduced in '91 and phased out and replaced with the Express Cruisers (completely different boats) in 2002-2003.

Nichols92 06-29-2009 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2898840)
straight up character, meaning he's an honest guy.......and tell him he needs to sell it and get a little water rocket like the rest of the guys on the "Chick"!! :)

Have you seen the boat? I have only seen pictures at this point but it doesnt look too bad. A little updating and it will be a nice boat I think. If I am able to work something out are you willing to go check it out for me for a price?

Nichols92 06-29-2009 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc (Post 2898923)
I have a 47 sport cruiser (97) and it is a great boat. The 38 is a trailable boat but much smaller inside than the new 38 EC. The boat is more like a 38 lightning with a taller deck so you can stand up in the cabin. The hulls and engine configurations on both the 47 and 38 Sport Cruisers followed the lightnings (i.e. small steps in 95-96, larger steps in 97, 3rd generation steps thereafter). Far fewer staggered engine configurations were made in the 38 model because room in the cockpit was more of a focus than speed. All 47's were triples. They were both introduced in '91 and phased out and replaced with the Express Cruisers (completely different boats) in 2002-2003.

Sounds as though you are very up on the SC's. Is it a good idea to stay away from the 91's? How much does the step help with performance? I do like speed but would give some up for the added cabin space.

t500hps 06-29-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nichols92 (Post 2899127)
Have you seen the boat? I have only seen pictures at this point but it doesnt look too bad. A little updating and it will be a nice boat I think. If I am able to work something out are you willing to go check it out for me for a price?

the boat is an hour away from me and the owner lives 2 hours away from where the boat is.......my family has a house on the water near his and we occasionally end up in the same area at the same time. I was on the boat last summer and it was as you describe, good shape but could use a little updating. Whatever Dean tells you, you can count on it being accurate.
With that being said, I would look it over if I can coordinate schedules with the seller for nothing more than a thank you. I do have a P.R in 2 weeks so I'm not sure when I will be down there again. I seem to remember being able to stand up just in the entrance to the cabin then it getting lower moving forward (I'm 6 ft). Deep cockpit, it is an old lightning hull with a raised top deck.