38' Sport Cruiser ? >

38' Sport Cruiser ?

Notices

38' Sport Cruiser ?

Old 06-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38' Sport Cruiser ?

I came across a deal on a 38' SC that I cant pass up. The only issue is it is a 1991 . When did they start making them and what are some changes they have made? It has staggered engines and I noticed the newer ones do not, why is that? I also was talking with a friend and he said the hull is not stepped on the 91's, is that true?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Newer ones have an aft cabin area which would not allow for the staggered set up. They are entirely different boats from the current EC's, not necessarily a bad thing, just different.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered

When did they do away with the staggered engines? Every other year I have seen has side by side setups, even 1992's. Was there a problem with staggered?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Is this boat in VA? A local guy has an older staggered 38 for sale from that era. Don't know much about the boat but can tell you that seller is a straight up character. Good Luck
Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
Is this boat in VA? A local guy has an older staggered 38 for sale from that era. Don't know much about the boat but can tell you that seller is a straight up character. Good Luck
It is. Just spoke to him and it sounds like he is going to keep it now. What do you mean he is a character? I kind of got the feeling he was after talking to him a couple times. Either way I am still curious about them as I really like them.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Nichols92
It is. Just spoke to him and it sounds like he is going to keep it now. What do you mean he is a character? I kind of got the feeling he was after talking to him a couple times. Either way I am still curious about them as I really like them.
straight up character, meaning he's an honest guy.......and tell him he needs to sell it and get a little water rocket like the rest of the guys on the "Chick"!!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Registered

I have a 47 sport cruiser (97) and it is a great boat. The 38 is a trailable boat but much smaller inside than the new 38 EC. The boat is more like a 38 lightning with a taller deck so you can stand up in the cabin. The hulls and engine configurations on both the 47 and 38 Sport Cruisers followed the lightnings (i.e. small steps in 95-96, larger steps in 97, 3rd generation steps thereafter). Far fewer staggered engine configurations were made in the 38 model because room in the cockpit was more of a focus than speed. All 47's were triples. They were both introduced in '91 and phased out and replaced with the Express Cruisers (completely different boats) in 2002-2003.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
straight up character, meaning he's an honest guy.......and tell him he needs to sell it and get a little water rocket like the rest of the guys on the "Chick"!!
Have you seen the boat? I have only seen pictures at this point but it doesnt look too bad. A little updating and it will be a nice boat I think. If I am able to work something out are you willing to go check it out for me for a price?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
I have a 47 sport cruiser (97) and it is a great boat. The 38 is a trailable boat but much smaller inside than the new 38 EC. The boat is more like a 38 lightning with a taller deck so you can stand up in the cabin. The hulls and engine configurations on both the 47 and 38 Sport Cruisers followed the lightnings (i.e. small steps in 95-96, larger steps in 97, 3rd generation steps thereafter). Far fewer staggered engine configurations were made in the 38 model because room in the cockpit was more of a focus than speed. All 47's were triples. They were both introduced in '91 and phased out and replaced with the Express Cruisers (completely different boats) in 2002-2003.
Sounds as though you are very up on the SC's. Is it a good idea to stay away from the 91's? How much does the step help with performance? I do like speed but would give some up for the added cabin space.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Nichols92
Have you seen the boat? I have only seen pictures at this point but it doesnt look too bad. A little updating and it will be a nice boat I think. If I am able to work something out are you willing to go check it out for me for a price?

the boat is an hour away from me and the owner lives 2 hours away from where the boat is.......my family has a house on the water near his and we occasionally end up in the same area at the same time. I was on the boat last summer and it was as you describe, good shape but could use a little updating. Whatever Dean tells you, you can count on it being accurate.
With that being said, I would look it over if I can coordinate schedules with the seller for nothing more than a thank you. I do have a P.R in 2 weeks so I'm not sure when I will be down there again. I seem to remember being able to stand up just in the entrance to the cabin then it getting lower moving forward (I'm 6 ft). Deep cockpit, it is an old lightning hull with a raised top deck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.