Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Fever/Lightning What's the Diff?? >

Fever/Lightning What's the Diff??

Notices

Fever/Lightning What's the Diff??

Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fever/Lightning What's the Diff??

I've been looking at a lot of Fountains in the 1999 to 2000 vintage and there seems to be some abiguity between the Lightnings and Fevers. From what I can see the Lightnings, for sure, had a taller deck, taller wrap around windshield and different side vents. However, some of the lower decked boats with the box styled winshields (what I think is the Fever design) are also being called Lightnings.

Can anyone shed some light on this??
Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before Fountain went to the glass windshields, all models had low, plexiglass wind screens or fairings. The 35 and 42 were lightnings and the other models were fevers. Lightnings had no glove compartment in the cockpit, did have side walkways, and the windscreen or fairing came to a point. The Fevers had a glove compartment, probably some other differences in the cockpit, no side walkways, and the windscreen was a straight curve across the front of the cockpit (no point). The glass windshields first showed up on the Lightnings (42 and 35) and then on the 38. I THINK the when the 38 was built with the windshield it was called a Lightning instead of the Fever. Seems like they built both for a little while.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jmeng
Before Fountain went to the glass windshields, all models had low, plexiglass wind screens or fairings. The 35 and 42 were lightnings and the other models were fevers. Lightnings had no glove compartment in the cockpit, did have side walkways, and the windscreen or fairing came to a point. The Fevers had a glove compartment, probably some other differences in the cockpit, no side walkways, and the windscreen was a straight curve across the front of the cockpit (no point). The glass windshields first showed up on the Lightnings (42 and 35) and then on the 38. I THINK the when the 38 was built with the windshield it was called a Lightning instead of the Fever. Seems like they built both for a little while.
I agree with all that Jmeng said and will add to that, 1999-2001 they made a Lightning Classic which is what we now call the Executioner. It had the flat plexiglass windshield with the venturi on top, they also made the Lightning those same years and it had the wrap around glass windshield with the aluminum frame on it. In addition to that the Classic and later EX's had a split motor hatch that was hinged on the sides and the Lightning has a one piece hatch that has the hinge in the rear of the boat.
Hope this helps.
David
Old 07-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Registered

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered

Smile Fountain Windshields

If your looking for a replacement windshield call
Aero Marine at 909.392.5544.