Alignment Of Drives >

Alignment Of Drives

Notices

Alignment Of Drives

Old 08-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Alignment Of Drives

Hey Guys I have a 1999 35 fountain lightning with hp500 bulldogs 250 B&M blowers and Bravo 1 drives. How or Do the Drives have a specific alignment setting with the Latham steering and tie bar. Are they suppose to be parallel to each other,,,, toe in,,,, or toe-out,,,, I get alittle vibration coming on plane. I start bringng the tabs up and trimming and about 5+ seconds it goes away. I tried my hydromotive 30's and 31's and it's the same. At speed no problem.. just wandered about the tie bar alignment or is this normal. thanks Speed
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sounds like the props are blowing out if your heavy handed on the take off let out a little then once its breaks over give it hell
Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered

No actually I have drives tucked and tabs down and walk it up on plane pretty easy around 2000rpm, but once getting up and bringing tabs up and drives out alittle thats whan the little vibration occurs and then once set it goes away.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 32 has the same vibs on take off. Real slight, but enough to notice if paying attention. Hydro props that have been balanced and gone over. Goes away as soon as the boat gets on top. Can't recall the alignment.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Drives toed in @ 1/16 - 1/8 seems to be the rule of thumb on the Fountains. Don't think it would be the cause of the vibration, likely props going thru a slip and grab deal, that can often feel like they are vibrating.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered

Thanks,,, Yeah I talked with a tech. at fountain and confirmed that props are blowing out making the vibration. Man I really have to find the sweet spot combination of tabs and drives coming on plane. I played with it today and dialing in on it.. Speed