Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Best speaker location in Fountain Fever? >

Best speaker location in Fountain Fever?

Notices

Best speaker location in Fountain Fever?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best speaker location in Fountain Fever?

Just picked up a new (to me) 99 Fever 27 The speakers appear to be original. Two in the cabin and two under the rear bench seat. I would like to add a sub or two and have at least four regular speakers in the cockpit area. Any suggestions on locations? Photos of your set ups? This boat does have the front anchor locker.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull the fountain logo lights out behind your front seats on the sides by the bench 6.5's will fit right in there place... Also make sure you have speakers other then just subs up by the 2 front seats otherwise you won't hear music unless you turn your head to either side, alot of people have subs under the bench, mine are down by my feet on the sides of the front seats
Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered

I replaced the Fountain logo lights with 7" JL Audio 2 way speakers and had to cut the holes a little larger. I removed the 2 factory speakers from under the bench seat and put 2 10" JL Audio subs and everything sounds good. I have an amp for the subs that I mounted to the port side bulkhead in the cabin (where the mirror was).
Old 12-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered

I have a 29 Fever. There are two compartment doors on either side of the cockpit. I removed them and made four new ones out of 1/4" fiberglass. I installed 1 7" Alpine in each of the new doors and covered them with vinyl and re-atached the latches and hinges. It looks like it came from the factory this way. I then installed 2 JL 10" under the back seat. Let me tell you it's LOUD!!! I liked the Fountain logo lights to much to remove them.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the Logo/speaker thing in my 32. 2- 10" JL subs mounted down at driver and passengers feet. Didn't want to loose the storage space under the rear bench seat to the subs. There I replaced the factory Clarion speakers with 6x9's.
The black ring around the speakers is just black vinly stuck to the back side of clear acrylic, so I wouln't't have to worry about the paint sticking to the interior. The OD is the same OD as the LOGO light, to cover up the indentation and stain from the painted light logo. Makes for a gloss black look, that can also be backlite with LEDS, which I just never got around to yet.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Registered

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\tracy.MCHATTON\My Documents\My Pictures\Boating\Picture 168.jpg[/IMG]
If you can do without storage I put 2 10" subs on both sides of cockpit. Used the storage door as a template email for more details [email protected]

Last edited by fountainfevr; 12-02-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Us1 do have speakers up by the drivers seat & front passenger seat? I have the same exact set up as you & I can not hear anything but the sound of 2 big blocks when I'm under way, with out making the people behind me deaf, tryin to figure out where to put a couple more 6.5's or smaller. Was thinking bout having boxes made to put under the fairing on either side of the Of the cuddy door any ideas, thoughts?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately not. There is no room for them so they are symetrical side to side, other than on the floor, so that's where the subs went. Plus I don't loose any storage by placing the subs there. I just have the 2 subs, the 5 1/4" Babbs in the above pic, and 2) 6x9 Babbs under the rear seat for sound in the cockpit. I've seen someone mount a set of 7's in the side of the dash and the glove box facing each other at the cabin door, but I didn't want that. I agree about lack of volume when running, unless really cranked, then it blows out the ears of your rear passengers. Just hard to get good volume and sound with the speakers at the floor.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Registered

BarryB, do you have some pics?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
Us1 do have speakers up by the drivers seat & front passenger seat? I have the same exact set up as you & I can not hear anything but the sound of 2 big blocks when I'm under way, with out making the people behind me deaf, tryin to figure out where to put a couple more 6.5's or smaller. Was thinking bout having boxes made to put under the fairing on either side of the Of the cuddy door any ideas, thoughts?
If you decide to put speakers up there a few suggestions.
  • Don't use anything bigger then a 5.25, you won't be able to have a box big enough for your required volume with larger speakers.
  • If possible get the THIELE-SMALL parameters to calculate box size, or use some 100mm (4") mids with some nice tweeters.
  • Point the speakers up into the fairing/windshield as far out to each side as you can get, this way you get some reflected sound and may have a better chance of not getting any near side bias.
  • Then put subs in one of the locations suggested, set the cross over to just overlap the mids a bit. Best way would be to use a RTA program and a mic on your lap top but if not try and do it by ear. You want to eliminate "holes" at the cross over point. If doing it by ear use well recorded wide bandwidth music (No compressed mp3 ****), if using a RTA, use mono pink noise.
  • For subs to do those right you have to use Thiele-Small parameters to make the enclosure. If not, it's a huge guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.