trying to go on a budget >

trying to go on a budget

Notices

trying to go on a budget

Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to go on a budget

hi all i have 93 27 fever with a 502 mag carb. my first of many questions is what does it take for my boat to get to the low 70's right now the boat works flawlessly and i have gone through the lower unit last year and i am 90% sure i have 1:5 gear ratio unit . currently i am running a 23 pitch mirage prop and sitting at 4900 rpm with a blistering top speed of 61 mph . i would like to redo the top of the motor but can i get enough power / flow out of my stock heads if i do bigger valves and port work along with a new hp 500 intake setup , cam and revolution marine exhaust . i just want to hear from someone who has been around the block a few times and either knows what i can do or has done whatever it takes to get that 75 mph out of a boat like mine . so you guys know i am not a giant cheap ass i just know that in the years to come i would love to stepup into a 33/35 twin engine fountain . also if i am dreaming thinking that i can get 75 with a basic n/a setup just let me know . would also like to know if i am running the right prop for having the boat stock .
Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pop a BM 250 blower on it. You'll be there, and then some. But the HP 500 should put you where you want and stay NA.

Kinda sucks when you have a Fountain and getting your azz handed to you by a Seadoo or ski boat.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-08-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

Default aahhh

i see so for the most part your telling me i would need aluminum heads and stroker crank . or atleast thats what i have heard from others . i am not trying to be a know it all but i am certified in engine machining and rebuilding is there something you know that i dont as far as why this engine would be hard to remove from the boat or hard to rebuild .does the hp 500 have aluminum heads or cast does anyone know what brand . also this is a general question but i know some race car guys , and i have had some experience building a full cast iron 454 chevy with well over 500 hp using merlin /world product heads . i do know that marine stuff is a total diffrent ball game due to stress on the engine and also you need a engine that has a wide and powerful torque band so to get to the point would'nt i be able to get 440 hp out of my stock 502 with a good intake , exhaust and cam . sorry if i am annoying not trying to be . also does anyone have prop ideas for my current setup or is 61 mph the best i can see
Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered

Default lol

yes it does suck worst ever i got tossed by a old 18 foot closed bow bayliner capri with a 175 merc outboard ! gotta be honest felt kinda stupid . but honestly i did not think that this boat was gonna be a screamer when i bought it , i love how it handles and takes nasty water plus there is something to be said to have something that is made well
Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

Default 27 fountain

i do not know where you boat,and how far you go,but a 27 fountain such as yours and mine only has a 63gallon fuel tank.i was thinking about putting a 605ci,n/a monster in my 27.but my cruising range would be short.something to think about .hope you have plenty places to stop for fuel.i decided to keep mine stock,and get a bigger fountain w/twins.there is no replacement for cubic displacement.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered

My 1996 stepped hull 27 with a HP500 had a test report speed of 76 mph. I was able to see 76 mph on gps at our local lake several times but here's the fine print: "low on fuel, only me in the boat, very cool (cold) day, and a Hydromotive labbed 27P QIV prop with difuser ring (labbed by hydromotive)". The boat was chine walking pretty bad at that speed too. It would run 73-74 mph almost anytime, though, with normal load and summertime temps, and no, or very little, chine walk. With a 1993 non-stepped hull, lower X dimension, and even with an HP500, I doubt you are going to see 75 mph on a gps speedo. With the factory pito tube style happy meter speedo, just trim up the drive alot and you could probably exceed your 75 mph goal!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered

cool thanks for the info , does anyone have a type of part list for a hp 500 meaning what type heads with what size valves and what cam / exhaust also does a hp 500 have a diffrent crank than i have in a stock 502 just wondering thank you everyone for the posts
Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran a 700 hp N/A engine and had better fuel econ then with the stock 502 at cruize. I could hit the low 80's on gps with that power.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Registered

that would be a awesome fit in my boat and would give me what i want for mph . my only issue is that i have already started buying parts for what i have . so far i have a intake and carb off of a hp 500 . my biggest concern is with my stock heads cause i want to re-use them with bigger valves better hardware and some mild port work , along with that hp 500 cam and revolution marine exhaust i just don't see why i would not see 430 to 455 hp . i kinda like the idea of keeping it a carb motor just cause its easier . but honestly everyone tell me if i am missing something or if i am dreaming . also should i pull the motor so that i can inspect the crank / block and do new pistons ,rings and bearings or if ain't broke dont fix it .
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

good point i was just thinking that i would have right at 2,400.00 $ to build mine but you are right if i could find a hp 500 used for 4 k i would do that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.