Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
27 fever with 496HO speed and cockpit >

27 fever with 496HO speed and cockpit

Notices

27 fever with 496HO speed and cockpit

Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so where SHOULD I start? Engine seems strong and I have all records from previous owner. Only 198 hours on engine in five years, doesn't seem that high. I thought I'd start with prop but you think it's deeper than that... Ok than what? And how do I get my missing speed back?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Registered

Just Curious ... do all Fountains come with a test sheet ? Can I get get a copy from Fountain by suplying the vin # ?
My 2000' with a 1.5 bravo & 502 mag , 24p runs 67-68 mph @5100rpm . I would love to go faster too but the cost don't seem worth it .
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by danedee
Ok, so where SHOULD I start? Engine seems strong and I have all records from previous owner. Only 198 hours on engine in five years, doesn't seem that high. I thought I'd start with prop but you think it's deeper than that... Ok than what? And how do I get my missing speed back?
If you're responding to me, then my answer to your question "where SHOULD I start?" is back in post number 16.

Honestly, man, hours mean squat on a marine engine. I don't care if it only has 10 hours on it.

Previous records are nice but are they fixing your boat?

Not being smart here okay.

People always wanna throw darts at walls and make guesses. I'm just trying to help you understand how best to solve a problem on your own cause that's really what you're doing here...

You always start from the ground up. That's my take. Some will disagree. But saying your engine "seems" or "feels" strong with only 198 hours???

Start at the beginning so you, "yourself" know that you've covered your bases. This mentality helps drastically with the prevention of wasted time and wasted money.

If you're sure the engine is not just down a little on power then throw a prop at it. But again, that's probably a $350 + dollar guess.

What if a little bit of moisture has made its way around your valve seats??? Then they still seal but not as nice as they once did... Then the leak percentage in that hole is higher which makes for an incremental power loss. Everything adds up to something else.

It's way easier to put another prop on and test it. Making sure that a prop is a worth while test is not as fast and easy.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you get her going good!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by danedee
Only 198 hours on engine in five years, doesn't seem that high.
No it does not seem high at all. The variable you're trying to eliminate is whether or not something else happened in 5 years besides just a low hour count...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 8luglogic
Just Curious ... do all Fountains come with a test sheet ? Can I get get a copy from Fountain by suplying the vin # ?
My 2000' with a 1.5 bravo & 502 mag , 24p runs 67-68 mph @5100rpm . I would love to go faster too but the cost don't seem worth it .
I see your from Vancouver; I spend lots of time on the \shuswap or the Okanagan. You ever come up this way?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Petesflht
I see your from Vancouver; I spend lots of time on the \shuswap or the Okanagan. You ever come up this way?
Yeah ... Shuswap is where i keep mine .
Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

Default Shushwap

Yeah ... Shuswap is where i keep mine .
I was fueling at Anglemont marina and seen you go by last weekend. I didnt see any other Fevers out there and was there for a week, so I assume it was you. You use your boat on Harrison ever? Poker Run this weekend.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
If setup properly, it should run 68+

Drive 4+
Tabs once on plane all the way up (0)

1/2 tank of fuel one or two people in the boat max.

1.65 drive = 28" bravo 4 blade roughly
1.5 drive = 26 bravo 4 blade roughly

Stock limiter is set at 5150. You have to be at or very near to reach 68-70 (at least I did).

And the anolog tach sux. You need a digital tach or scan tool to see the real engine speed.
Same here my boat runs 67 all day and will hit 69 in the correct conditions. 2005 with 496HO and B1 28 righthand prop. I will hit the rev limiter sometimes. Like SD says you need to start at the begining and check to make sure your engine is healthy and tac and speedo are accurate.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountainboy0527
I was fueling at Anglemont marina and seen you go by last weekend. I didnt see any other Fevers out there and was there for a week, so I assume it was you. You use your boat on Harrison ever? Poker Run this weekend.
No ... it wasn't me . Mines bin sittin' in the shop getting some new color . Should be out soon though . i have seen quite a few fountains on the Shuswap over the past few seasons .
Getting to be alot of big fast boats on that lake , seen some fast DCB's & Eliminators out there .
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered

No ... it wasn't me . Mines bin sittin' in the shop getting some new color . Should be out soon though . i have seen quite a few fountains on the Shuswap over the past few seasons .
Getting to be alot of big fast boats on that lake , seen some fast DCB's & Eliminators out there .
yeah there was a 36 Eliminator and a 40 plus size Outterlimits ripping around in the narrows and a 38-42 fountain late model all white. I saw a Howard and a couple DCBs too. Most Ive seen since ive been going up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.