2000 35' w/ Blue Motors.... >

2000 35' w/ Blue Motors....

Notices

2000 35' w/ Blue Motors....

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 35' w/ Blue Motors....

Hey all- pretty new to offshore boats. Going to go look at a 2000 35' Lightining this weekend with the blue motors. Boat and motors have 250ish hours on them (although the motors just had the valvesprings redone by a merc mehanic). Just had a few questions I thought you guys might be able to help me answer. I am going to have it surveyed before I buy it assuming I like it, but what are some of the areas I should look closely at to determine if I should proceed with the boat? Can you see the stringers in these boats without disassembling things? What are the opinions of the blue motors (reliablilty, etc)? Most of the boats I have been seeing have the 496ho's, which I understand are pretty bulletproof...but not sure about the blue motors. Any areas that are prone to cracking or failure on the Fountains that I should be aware of? It would be great if this works out, but it's a lot of money and I don't want to make any mistakes if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Ben
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by northerndoc
Hey all- pretty new to offshore boats. Going to go look at a 2000 35' Lightining this weekend with the blue motors. Boat and motors have 250ish hours on them (although the motors just had the valvesprings redone by a merc mehanic). Just had a few questions I thought you guys might be able to help me answer. I am going to have it surveyed before I buy it assuming I like it, but what are some of the areas I should look closely at to determine if I should proceed with the boat? Can you see the stringers in these boats without disassembling things? What are the opinions of the blue motors (reliablilty, etc)? Most of the boats I have been seeing have the 496ho's, which I understand are pretty bulletproof...but not sure about the blue motors. Any areas that are prone to cracking or failure on the Fountains that I should be aware of? It would be great if this works out, but it's a lot of money and I don't want to make any mistakes if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Ben
Ben should be a good package is it a lightning or executioner? in 2000 some refered to both as a lightning

Last edited by blownincome; 08-03-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a 2000 Lightning with 500 HP EFI's. It was a great boat. No know problems, stringers are exposed, we loved ours. Hopefully someone respectable did the valve springs. Water test it, and get a survey done on it.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Registered

Default 35 fountain

If the boat is the one on the Upper Niagara River, I have seen it on the water, runs nice, looks nice and sounds even nicer, hardly ever out on the water though. If it was in my price range it would be in my driveway.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cjcs
If the boat is the one on the Upper Niagara River, I have seen it on the water, runs nice, looks nice and sounds even nicer, hardly ever out on the water though. If it was in my price range it would be in my driveway.
saw that boat out this weekend. looked and sounded awesome!!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

Just to clarify- it is listed as a lightning, but does have the executioner-style windshield. Other than that, what's the big difference between the two? Is it simply appearance or are there structural differences? The mechanic who did the valves is supposedly a "step below a Merc master mechanic".... whatever that means. The guy I talked to on the phone said there are only a few of them in the state of Michigan. I won't buy the boat unless we can water test it and I already called a surveyor today. If everything looks good to the missus and I then I will have him go ahead with the survey. If anyone else wants to chime in with advice, etc, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by northerndoc
Just to clarify- it is listed as a lightning, but does have the executioner-style windshield. Other than that, what's the big difference between the two? Is it simply appearance or are there structural differences? The mechanic who did the valves is supposedly a "step below a Merc master mechanic".... whatever that means. The guy I talked to on the phone said there are only a few of them in the state of Michigan. I won't buy the boat unless we can water test it and I already called a surveyor today. If everything looks good to the missus and I then I will have him go ahead with the survey. If anyone else wants to chime in with advice, etc, it would be greatly appreciated!
The ex was introduced in 1995 I think. Great handling safe no-nonsense hull that will do around 80 - 81 with HP 500's, maybe 82 with efi's. The bigger stepped Lightning with the other windshield was introduced in 2000 and has the more effecient but less predictable hull. Should do 85 to 87 with efi's.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pm sent
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 35

That is my boat. not same one they are talking about but is for sale.
thks Joe

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
saw that boat out this weekend. looked and sounded awesome!!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

Hey JMPH. Let me know if you are looking to trade up to 47' Lightning with triple 525SC's. Check mine out at www.upperchesapeakeyachtsales.com as I am able to take a trade. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.