Switch gearcases to make props turn out rather that inward >

Switch gearcases to make props turn out rather that inward

Notices

Switch gearcases to make props turn out rather that inward

Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch gearcases to make props turn out rather that inward

Anyone tried this? Getting around the dock is a biznooch compared to outward turning props. I'm sure there is a reason (speed) they came from the factory like this but I can sacrifice a mile or two/hr in order to back-in and spin the tub easier.
Thanks for any feedback.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

you just switch the cables on the throttles if you have bravos.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered

Thx, easy enough to do. Any ill effects at speed? I hear it might keep the bow down with outward spinners but I had a twin step Donzi before this single step fountain and the donzi came with outward props and ran just fine but the bow naturally stayed low
Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Switching the gear cases will do nothing, rotation is in the upper on a Bravo. To test you can just switch the props and use reverse to go foreward and vice versa, then change the cables if you are happy with the results. Fountain does turn them in for a reason and it's not the docking manners.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Switching the gear cases will do nothing, rotation is in the upper on a Bravo. To test you can just switch the props and use reverse to go foreward and vice versa, then change the cables if you are happy with the results. Fountain does turn them in for a reason and it's not the docking manners.
Please tell me the reason why they turn them in if you truly know...is it to gain 1 mph?? I have seen virtually no other builders that turn them in besides the ocasional Apache (only a few do it). Not trying to be a smart ass just want to know. Many other faster boats out there that run props out so why does Fountain run them in? Fountain center consoles face out
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Flapjack
Please tell me the reason why they turn them in if you truly know...is it to gain 1 mph?? I have seen virtually no other builders that turn them in besides the ocasional Apache (only a few do it). Not trying to be a smart ass just want to know. Many other faster boats out there that run props out so why does Fountain run them in? Fountain center consoles face out

Here's my understanding of the deal,

By turning them in you get bow lift out of the prop.

By getting some more bow lift out of the prop you lessen the amount that you need to get out of the trim angle on the drives.

By lessening the trim angle on the drives you get more straight foreward thrust. Likely more speed, but also better angle of attack (Reggie term) on the hull. Result is better handling at speed, less of a tendency to fly the nose in rough water, and general all around better control. For me it's the control and handling, only put it back in the slip when I'm done running it for the day.

Side effect ..... Some claim PIA around the docks. Having delt with the last 3 boats turning "in', a Velocity and two Fountains over the last 15 years, there are ways to compensate, takes some time and practice, but can be learned. I did and I'm not a rocket scientist.

For me the trade off is more than worth it. I will trade handling on the water for the few xtra minutes it takes to get back into the slip any day. Just my take on it, I don't view it as a smart azz remark at all. Flip the props and shift it azzbackwards, it's a simple way to test the difference.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I switched mine from in to out. Lost zero speed, or (1mph at most) gained a more stable ride and docking manners 10x better.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

The funny thing is when I tried turning mine out I noticed it seemed to want to hop more in the mid range, lost 1-2 on top. The hop bothered me.

I noticed little around the docks. Strange thing is I have the same boat as US1, don't know maybe a different x dim?

It's easy try it and let us know, if you like them turning out change your cables and be done.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Did all of the twin Fountain's get sent out of the factory with the props spinning "in" even the the non-stepped hulls ?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

I ran my 47 yesterday with them turning out and hated it. Lots of hop in the mid to upper end and overall handled pretty crappy and didn't ride as well when the water was a little rougher. Did run 89 so it lost very little on the top end just didn't feel good at all. With that 3rd one hanging between them I'm not sure how that would compare to a twin though. Docking is what you get use to I think. Always seemed to me a twin was easier than a triple and I've almost forgot how to dock a single.

One thing I have learned is usually Fountain does things for a reason. I wouldn't listen to them on my old 47 about standoff boxes, I just had to add them anyway, and they were right, drove like crap and didn't help speed one bit. That was on the old original smaller step on an early 98 so who knows on the bigger step but I bet I can guess. I think I'll leave this 06 like they set it up from the factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.