42 hook bottom

Notices

42 hook bottom

Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 42 hook bottom

I just sold a 92 35 Excecutioner that I always thought ran on the bow kind of flat if you will and replaced it with a 42 Lightning trip 525 that also feels like it runs on the bow .
Yesterday after 4 weeks of ownership I finally get the boat in 6to 8's and for sure this mofo runs on the bow kind of through the waves . Definitely bow down and trim doesn't really have a big effect .
I've always felt that you need to fly a boat . I have logged a few miles flying rough water but basically in Cats .
Today I pull the boat to clean and switch props ( from 5 blade 27's to 4 blade 28's ) and notice this hull has a tremendous amount of hook . Is it the hook or CG giving me this sensation ? Is this how they run or is it me ?
Have any of you taken the hook out of these hulls ? I'm thinking eliminating the hook would pick up speed and give a better angle of attack in the rough .
I do remember years ago hearing of a few Fountains with blueprinted bottoms but don't know what it consisted of .
Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will tell you that Fountains run flat Not a Bow up feel as for the hook?
Would have to see it to judge.what are you running your trim and tabs at? should be 3/3 to start as a base line on plane

Last edited by blownincome; 09-27-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You noticed the hook? Did you check it with a straight edge, or you could see it with your eyes, that would be alot of hook if you could see it.
All the Fountains I have owned have all had stepped bottoms, the angle of attack is pretty much flat.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they def run flat. Bring it to the factory if you are concerned and have them blue print it. At least that way you will KNOW its right. Was the boat stored for a long time improperly?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM
aex
Registered

The hull is a 98 twin step . I'm not running any tab and yes the hook is clearly visible in the form of small wedges tapering into the hull bottom 8 inches or so from the stern .
I've got to post some photos , this is definitely how it came out of the mold .
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post pics
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your having trouble picking the bow up in 6-8's... something is miss adjusted. 4 blades would be better anyway for that boat.
The 42 does have the feel of slicing through and not bobbling over a head sea.
Mark off on your indicators were neutral trim on the drives and tabs are and go from there on trimming the boat out.
My drives are neutral at half way out.

Last edited by Back4More; 09-28-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aex
I just sold a 92 35 Excecutioner that I always thought ran on the bow kind of flat if you will and replaced it with a 42 Lightning trip 525 that also feels like it runs on the bow .
Yesterday after 4 weeks of ownership I finally get the boat in 6to 8's and for sure this mofo runs on the bow kind of through the waves . Definitely bow down and trim doesn't really have a big effect .
I've always felt that you need to fly a boat . I have logged a few miles flying rough water but basically in Cats .
Today I pull the boat to clean and switch props ( from 5 blade 27's to 4 blade 28's ) and notice this hull has a tremendous amount of hook . Is it the hook or CG giving me this sensation ? Is this how they run or is it me ?
Have any of you taken the hook out of these hulls ? I'm thinking eliminating the hook would pick up speed and give a better angle of attack in the rough .
I do remember years ago hearing of a few Fountains with blueprinted bottoms but don't know what it consisted of .
42' Fountains don't fly with the nose up. If you have staggers or especially full staggers the boat is going to run flat. The weight is distributed towards the center. I run Maximus 5 blades and in bigger water the tabs are at 4 and the XR drives are at 3-4. My boat hull is not blue printed and runs great in everything. My beak will be up just a tad in this set up.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:02 PM
aex
Registered

Here are some photos , and I don't run no stinkin' tabs . If I did this the stern would probably pick up out of the water !
Seriously , look at the hook on the keel then note the wedges . This sucker looks like it needs rocker , then I could use the tabs .
Yesterday I tested the 4 blade 28's and vs the 5 blade 27 Maximus and not much difference .
I'm probably going to blueprint that area of the hull over the winter .
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

wow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.