Newbie here with questions

Notices

Newbie here with questions

Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here with questions

Howdy,
I've been a lurker here for several months doing my boat searching while waiting for a tract of land to sell. I'm very close to joining y'alls frat house.
I've wanted to move up from a walk through ski boat to a full size sport/express style cruiser for a while now. I've never wanted to finance while raising 4 kids through school, and have decided I'm to old to take a note now.
Due to my budget I've narrowed my selections down to 3 boats from the early to late 90's.
Fountain 38 sport cruiser
Baja 38 special
Baja 420
I'm looking for the largest reasonably trailerable weekender with a gen-set, A/C, galley, head, and a salon with 6' minimum headroom at the entry/galley that'll cruise in the mid 40's and hit 60 to 70 at top end. I've pretty much written off the 420 due to the triple big blocks. Fuel consumption is more important than sheer top speed.
There are some AWESOME deals out there right now with the depressed economy and I'm hoping that if I find I don't really like the boat I should be able to get my money back on a resell.
I'd be deeply grateful if any of you Fountain owners would share with me your likes and dislikes of the Fountain models. If you know of any other Mfg's boats that may fit the bill please let me in on them, and equally, if you know of any units for sale I'm interested in hearing about them.
Also, if any member around Houston/Lake Conroe, TX knows of a seller who may be interested in making a partial trade towards 15 commercial acres on FM 1097 I'd be open to them. I've had a couple of individuals contracts fall through due to lenders setting the bar to high on raw land and developers won't make offers 'cause it's 2 miles from the Interstate.
Thanks in advance.

See ya,
Kelly

Mod's
I hope this is OK to post in different forums, if not please leave the thread in General Boating.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

A local guy has a 1991? 38 sport cruiser with factory staggered engines. Listed at $35K. Don't know that much about the boat but know the owner is a good guy that will be honest with you. (boat is in the classifieds and in VA). I was on the boat once and it's 6ft when you first step inside.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 6'5 & can stand up in the walk way of the 38 fountain, enormous cockpit, twin stepped 96 hit 65mph w/ 6 people 3/4 fuel twin 502efi's I was impressed...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A local here has a 38EC and I have looked it over a couple times. I am pretty impressed by it, I am not a big fan of Fountain but these are really nice in my opinion. Havent been on one on the water but have heard good things performance wise for the size.

Last edited by hotjava66; 11-24-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: it is an EC not SC, wasnt thinking
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the 38 EC, good riding, lots of room. Along the same lines you may also check out the Formula 400 SS. Im not sure about trailering either one, they are pretty big, but the Formula is also a lot of boat for the money.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
I like the 38 EC, good riding, lots of room. Along the same lines you may also check out the Formula 400 SS. Im not sure about trailering either one, they are pretty big, but the Formula is also a lot of boat for the money.
EC and SC are very different animals.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at a 38 EC as our next boat and the wife talked me into a 47 Lightning! Who was I to say no? Never did ride in one, but still kind of would like to see how they run.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
A local guy has a 1991? 38 sport cruiser with factory staggered engines. Listed at $35K. Don't know that much about the boat but know the owner is a good guy that will be honest with you. (boat is in the classifieds and in VA). I was on the boat once and it's 6ft when you first step inside.
I've looked at that boat in the classifieds a dozen times or more but never made contact with the seller, there's another one in the classifieds also agressively priced that I've spoken with the seller twice on. It's 500 miles closer and has less hours, he is also a very nice guy and comes across the phone as very honest too.
He was completely up front as to the condition and the needs of the boat which were minor things.
There's a newer very low hour stepped hull 38SC at a repo yard but it needs fuel tank repair or replacement, this has me scared, LOL!!!
Have any of y'all been on, or interacted with the owners of a Baja 38 Special, we have a 97 that's priced right very close to me. It's in a repo yard and appears to have been gone through
by the owner removing everything possible prior to being hauled away.

Thanks again for all of y'alls insight, please keep it coming.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 11-24-2010, 03:03 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I've looked at that boat in the classifieds a dozen times or more but never made contact with the seller, there's another one in the classifieds also agressively priced that I've spoken with the seller twice on. It's 500 miles closer and has less hours, he is also a very nice guy and comes across the phone as very honest too.
He was completely up front as to the condition and the needs of the boat which were minor things.
There's a newer very low hour stepped hull 38SC at a repo yard but it needs fuel tank repair or replacement, this has me scared, LOL!!!
Have any of y'all been on, or interacted with the owners of a Baja 38 Special, we have a 97 that's priced right very close to me. It's in a repo yard and appears to have been gone through
by the owner removing everything possible prior to being hauled away.

Thanks again for all of y'alls insight, please keep it coming.

See ya,
Kelly
I really don't know very well any of the boats your considering, just the owner of the one I posted. Call him before you make any decisions, he'll be straight, tell him Russ Carter told you to call.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Registered

I have been out of boating for the last ten years but recently had the bug again.....I have been looking for a year or so and recently ended up buying a 1991 fountain 38sc.....I own a custom body shop,interior shop,stereo shop so I was not afraid of rehabbing a boat.....the older 38sc's don't have the largest cockpit and a lot of space is wasted by the sun pad...newer ones had the cockpit shifted back for more useable space.....cabin is adequate but not spacious by any means....check the forward bulkheads on any fountain.....since you are looking at an sc also check the stringers in front of the head.....

I will add more when I am not typing on this iPad...