Prop Testing - Disappointing! >

Prop Testing - Disappointing!

Notices

Prop Testing - Disappointing!

Old 05-15-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Testing - Disappointing!

In an effort to find something to replace my cracked 24 Hydro, I spent yesterday afternoon trying the few left-hand props my marina had around. Air temp was in the low 80's, with water probably about the same. There was some wind (maybe 15 mph) and a light chop. Clear Lake ranges from fresh at one end to almost salt at the other. The two numbers I recorded are basically with and against the wind. Trim ranged from a little less than 5 to 6.8, depending on the prop, tabs all the way up. These are very rough numbers, since I was driving and trying to read the GPS at the same time.
The boat is a 1996 29 Fever with carbed HP500 and I'm guessing a bit more than half a tank of fuel.

24 Hydromotive (4 blade)
with wind: 67.1 @ 5000
against wind: 64.7 @ 4900
(Note: My 24 gave me 5200 at WOT before it cracked.)

24 Bravo I (4 Blade)
with: 66.7 @ 5300
against: 64.6 @ 5300
(I couldn't even trim all the out, the rpms were running so high.)

Planing for both of these props, was about the same and quite good.

25 Mirage Plus (3 blade) - My mechanic's idea - bad!
with: 64.6 @ 4900
against: 62.0 @ 4900
(Planing was terrible, almost couldn't get her up.)

27 Hydromotive (4 blade)
with: 65.0 @ 4850
against: 62.6 @ 4850
(This seemed strange. The rpms are where I'd expect, but the speed should've gone up. Planing was a bit more difficult than with the 24's, but something I'd just have to get the feel of, not nearly as bad as the 3-blade.)

The handling was great with all of the props, no chinewalking or feeling like I'd spin out in the turns.

I'm still undecided as to what I want to put on her. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I was reading a thread yesterday I think in the Q/A section about HP500 carb valvsprings going soft and should be replaced after 200 hrs.....Maybe if you changed them you could gain some rpm or allow you to prop up and find that speed...........Doug
Old 05-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Q/A-'' Valvesprings" by "2 air"...........Doug
Old 05-15-2002, 01:38 PM
Registered

strange why you're getting around double the slip % (21) with the 27" v 11% with the 24" hydro. Probably trimming higher with the 27" in an effort to get the RPM higher.

BTW, hydro can fit diffuser rings to help planing by inducing slippage initially to get the turns up. The top end is sacrificed a little though.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Registered

I figure my driving is still somewhat of a variable in this. I couldn't keep track of exactly what I was trimming to and watch the GPS, tach and water ahead. I do recall trying a few different settings with the 27 though, because I was surprised it was slower. If it was a repitched 26 like my mechanic said it was, it may not have been done right.
With regard to the valve springs, it could be a problem, but this engine only just hit 150 hours and was recently tuned up. My mechanic didn't report anything amiss.
Oh yeah, one thing I didn't put with the first post: The factory test sheet said 70 @ 5050 with a 26 Hydro, cold day, 30 gallons of fuel and Reggie driving. Maybe she never was as fast as what the rest of you guys have...
Old 05-15-2002, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Jana

Oh yeah, one thing I didn't put with the first post: The factory test sheet said 70 @ 5050 with a 26 Hydro, cold day, 30 gallons of fuel and Reggie driving.
Jana,
My first report said 72@6000 with Reggie driving. I guess they don't believe in proof reading.

I'd give the Bravo 1 another try. You probably will need a 26p with the tips cut down to make it the equivalent of a 25. Try a stock 26 and see what your numbers are. Have your prop guy call Merc and get the templates to trim the blades. With this method the cup stays the same and you still have a larger prop to go back to if you do minor engine work.

Dan
Old 05-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Twinn29 there is a question reguarding Carb HP500's in this months Powerboat mag in Teagues section. He notes this know problem and gives out the part numbers.

The boat industry is so f'ed up and you would think Mercury would issue a recall on this known defect. MERCURY is a piece of chit in my opinion! They f'ed me on every engine form valve spring to manifolds. NEVER again! I've NEVER got any help from them plus they have th WORST customer service department. The problem is Merc needs competition. Yamaha is doing an excellent job in the outboard department and I see maore and more Yamaha's on the water
RANT MODE OFF!
Mike C.
Mike,
What customer service? I asked if Merc was having a water pressure problem on my year engines, answer NO! Is 40 lbs. of pressure ok? That was answered with a question. Does your engine overheat? NO! Do you have water in your oil? NO! Then sir you don't have a problem. I asked why I have gone through 5 circulating pumps? Answer was I don't know but your engines are out of warranty.

My response is to file a complaint with Boat US. I believe Merc may have a water pressure issue on some of their engines.
I guess custom power might be the way to go in the future.

Dan
Old 05-16-2002, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally posted by candyman35

Jana,
My first report said 72@6000 with Reggie driving. I guess they don't believe in proof reading.

Candyman - Which way was that test report off? I assume you were faster. The guy I bought the boat from said he saw 73 on the speedo before he decided to put a nose cone on. That says that I should get 70 on the GPS.
The only reason I didn't try more Bravo I's is because the 24 was all we had at the marina. I'm in a bind because I have to have SOMETHING on the boat before June 8 so I can go on a Poker Run out here.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jana,

Just my observation, but it seems like you are not getting the RPMs high enough. Even with your Hydro 24, 5200 at WOT should be faster than 67mph, I actually ran 5350 rpm WOT with 26 Hydro speedo at 79mph,(wich means 74-75mph) yesturday. Just a thought do you carry allot of stuff on the boat, anchor,tool box, water tank full?, # batteries, excess water in boat?

Also another idea, and I would call fountain on this, you say its a 1996, maybe the X dim is higher on the newer ones??

Just trying to give you some other direction to look,

Good Luck

Will
Old 05-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

Janna,
My rev limiters are set at 5050. I have baby motors, 454 Mags. If you call the factory ask for Marty Bosinger. He is the man that does the rigging and is the only one I have talked to lately that still cares over at Fountain

Dan

Quick Reply: Prop Testing - Disappointing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.