Onboard battery chargers >

Onboard battery chargers

Notices

Onboard battery chargers

Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard battery chargers

I'm thinking about adding an onboard battery charger to my 06 fever and I wanted to see if any of you could give me a little advice on which brand and model I should use?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a Promariner 1230plus in my Fountain. 3 bank, 3 stage plus dockside power source, 30A. No issues with it, other than I hear the fan at times when it is in the fast charge mode.

That one replaced a simple 20A 2 bank charger from Guest. Really liked that charger as is has a small footprint and is fully sealed. Just wanted one with more power.

Replaced my original 40A charger in the cruiser for the Promariner 1240plus last summer. No problems with it either.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 430 Likes on 207 Posts

If you want inexpensive, easy to install, battery charger only with a tiny footprint, try these:

http://batterytender.com/marine/wate...emisphere.html

I use them in my 35 and other than the plug you can't even see them mounted on my firewall they are so petite. They are sealed and ready to live a tough live in a bilge compartment. And they work great!!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I installed a Promariner 1230plus in my Fountain. 3 bank, 3 stage plus dockside power source, 30A. No issues with it, other than I hear the fan at times when it is in the fast charge mode.

That one replaced a simple 20A 2 bank charger from Guest. Really liked that charger as is has a small footprint and is fully sealed. Just wanted one with more power.

Replaced my original 40A charger in the cruiser for the Promariner 1240plus last summer. No problems with it either.
Where did you mount the 1230plus? Is it safe in the engine compartment?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinletto
Where did you mount the 1230plus? Is it safe in the engine compartment?
Mounted between the trim pumps, backside of rear bench seat back. I assume the 29's are the same?? Yes, it's safe for the engine compartment. Just gotta keep it from being hosed down.

Best price for them that I found was from Star Marine Depot

There also is a 20A version that is a little smaller in size. Depends on your power requirements. I went big since we stayed on our boat every weekend in the slip and always had a constant draw from the stereo amps and lights. Didn't wanna run low on juice while the party was cranking.

For regular use just to keep the batteries topped off, I'd go with something like a 2-3 bank Guest charger. Smaller and 100% sealed. And cheaper. Make sure you use a marine charger, not an automotive one.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 06-01-2011 at 09:39 PM.