Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Anchor for 29 Fever >

Anchor for 29 Fever

Notices

Anchor for 29 Fever

Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest a 22 lb Delta style anchor. That's light enough to be easy to handle, but it will reliably hold your boat in almost any bottom condition. Don't go any lighter, or the anchor just won't break through the bottom to get a grip.

And be sure to have about 25 feet of chain: this ensures the pull on the anchor is more horizontal. In fact, the length of the chain can make more difference than the design of the anchor: a 22 lb Delta holds smaller boats with no chain, while all chain without an anchor can keep even large yachts in place. For example, on a Fleming 55 one night in the Bahamas we never did pull 150 feet of chain lying on the bottom enough to make the chain straight to the anchor: the anchor was doing nothing, just the chain on the hard coral sand kept the boat in place even with the tidal currents!

With all the anchors mentioned earlier in this thread, I've had situations where they fouled and/or just would not hold. Anchors similar to Deltas have worked well for me all over the world for decades.

Fortress: light, but easily fouls on rocks/stumps/weed/etc, and easy to bend it into a pretzel when it does get fouled.

Box anchors: If you don't hand set it, and watch it continuously... good luck.

Navy anchors: Pretty good if over 20 lbs, and great when they weigh tons. But they seem to have too much fluke for the weight in smaller models, so they don't dig in on harder bottoms. Fine on soft mud.

That's my experience.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happily my 29 Fever came with an anchor. It is an all stainless item 21.5" long, 15" wide with tapered flukes that begin with 4.75" per side tapering to about 2". Sorry I do not have the exact weight (I'd guess 15-20 pounds) but will try to get it to an accurate scale.
I plan on using about 20" of 5/16" chain and then 1/2 line. The locker is not lined and the tips to line it with a hard rubber car floor matts sounds like a good plan.
If you would like a picture of the anchor email me at [email protected]