oil temp. sending unit >

oil temp. sending unit

Notices

oil temp. sending unit

Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts
Default oil temp. sending unit

Need some help. Can someone tell me where Fountain installs the oil temp. sending unit into the engine block ?
This is on a stock 454 and I know for sure it is not at or near the oil filter housing.
ed
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Need some help. Can someone tell me where Fountain installs the oil temp. sending unit into the engine block ?
This is on a stock 454 and I know for sure it is not at or near the oil filter housing.
ed
Mine is on the oil filter adapter where the lines attach as well as the oil temp sender, (500 hps) on my old 454s was no the back of the block next to the distributer
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blownincome
Mine is on the oil filter adapter where the lines attach as well as the oil temp sender, (500 hps) on my old 454s was no the back of the block next to the distributer
Ahhhhh, back of block near distributor. Thank you very much. I'll find it tonight. Have been having erratic oil temp. issues for some time. Thinking it's the sending unit.
ed
Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ahhhhh, back of block near distributor. Thank you very much. I'll find it tonight. Have been having erratic oil temp. issues for some time. Thinking it's the sending unit.
ed
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...0IV/parts.html
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Mine have a sender next to the distrib, and another down under by the filter pad. Forget which is pressure or temp.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

That schematic only shows oil pressure sender. If I understand correctly on the stock 7.4L and 454 Fountain added the oil temp gage which Mercury didn't supply.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That schematic only shows oil pressure sender. If I understand correctly on the stock 7.4L and 454 Fountain added the oil temp gage which Mercury didn't supply.
should be T'd off at the sender..
Old 08-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

I checked the sending unit behind the distributor and it is the oil pressure sending unit.
I still need to find the oil temperature sending unit.

Here's my problem ;
Port engine oil temp. gage shows extreme high temp shortly after a run but occasionally will suddenly drop back to a more normal temp of 180-200 then climb again or stabilize. I'm thinking bad sending unit, bad, connection/ground or bad gage. Need to find the sending unit and it IS NOT at the filter housing. This has been a problem for 2 seasons now so I'm very confident it is a gage , wiring or sending unit issue not a engine/oil issue.
HELP, PLEASE !
ed
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you find your engine oil cooler they may have mounted it on the output side line like I said above my last boat was off the other side of the oil pressure sw but that boat had S/C setup swap over your gauge from the other motor to see if its the gauge
Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Registered

The search for the oil temp. sensor continued yesterday. Located a sensor at the rear bottom left of the block. Removed the sensor lead when the gage showed high temp. and no difference in the reading.

So....... got frustrated and hit the dash adjacent to the gage with the butt end of a screwdriver and the gage dropped back to a normal reading. Cycled this a number times , turned engine off/on warmed oil to high reading hit dash temp. returned to normal. Got to believe it's the gage since this has been a problem for a long time and I've not ruined a engine running with the high temp.
Accessing the rear of that gage is a cluster f**k !

ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.