Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
What do you think of this 35' Lightning? >

What do you think of this 35' Lightning?

Notices

What do you think of this 35' Lightning?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this 35' Lightning?

Just wanted to get some opinions on this boat.

http://www.boatcrazy.com/search/deta...t=&link=&text=

Checked it out and test drove it at LOTO this past Saturday. It's as clean as the description says and everything is stock/OEM on it. Owned by a 68 year old guy for the last 6 years. He didn't put very much time on it himself and he's looking to get into a pontoon boat. As of right now he won't budge on price and wants an extra $4K for the trailer. He told me he was originally asking $49K for the boat earlier this summer, but then dropped his price down to what it is now. I think $30K w/trailer would be a pretty good buy.

Although it's a really nice boat and everything for its age, I'm still hesitant with it being a 1990. Should I let the age of it bother me? Worried if I want to upgrade in a few years I might have a hard time selling it or getting most of my money back. Was hoping maybe some of you could offer some insight. Anything I should be worried about on this model, year, motor, drives, etc?

This will be my first boat and I will be boating down at LOTO with it. I've had a few other OSO members tell me they wouldn't be afraid of the boat and it'd be a good deal, that is assuming it passes a survey w/o any major problems.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered

Nice looking boat, the interior is a step or two up from a base boat. Looks really clean, very low hours. Yes it's an older boat, they'll be some stuff wrong, things wear out with age. But you aren't paying new price, I bet it's a helluva boat for the money. Hope it works out, let us know.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

is it an older guy, named Bill or something like that who owns it?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Name is Jack
Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

That boat is nice! I keep mine right by it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Did all the tabs, indicators, lights, pumps and everything on the boat work?.....does it have a recent survey with hull soundings?.....has your mechanic checked the engines out?....if everything checks out ok then I wouldnt worry much about it being a '90......like stated above your not paying new price.....how fast did it go with that combo?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered

Yes everything on it worked. He did have the speedometer disconnected. I'm not real familiar with these on boats or their theory of operation, I'm guessing this one was like a pitot tube? I guess the little "J" like shaped hollow metal tube that mounts on the bottom rear of the outer hull always get bent up he said. So he just removed it and the bracket assembly that mounts it to the hull. He still has the assembly in case you want to remount it. He said he GPS'd the boat at 70.

I haven't had the boat surveyed or a mechanic check it out. If I would buy the boat (or any for that matter) then yes I'd have these things done and me purchasing it would be contigent upon the boat passing these inspections w/o any serious problems.

Would you guys give him his asking price, or try to get it for cheaper? I feel in this economy/boating market I should be able to get a better deal on this, but maybe I'm off base here? Again I'm a newbie to the boat buying game so I figured maybe some of you more seasoned veterans could offer some opinions or keep me in check.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If the boat is as clean as the pics & you said it was in a previous post!!! I think thats a fairly good deal for a 35ft fountain... Look around & find another thats as clean for that price.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

if everything works and checks out then I think its a def a good/ fair price.....youll have trouble finding one that clean for less....nice boat wouldnt mind it myself.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Registered

Talking 35 lightning

Just bought 94 35 lightning in July in the same shape or better with 380 hrs on boat ,75 hrs on motors .B&M blowers making 650ish.No trailer, has cockpit cover,full boat cover paid 40k.The boat you are looking at is really nice and obvioslly taken care of,but i think he should throw in the the trailer at least for that price.I would not worry about the age as long as the inspections are okay.Good luck,and have fun if you get it.I love mine.I am still in the learning curve its my first boat,I have fix ed alot of little annoying things on the boat. If you have any questions on anything feel free to give me a call our boats are very much alike. 610-823-1521 Mike P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.