Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Convert twin 32 Sportfish Cruiser to outboards? >

Convert twin 32 Sportfish Cruiser to outboards?

Notices

Convert twin 32 Sportfish Cruiser to outboards?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert twin 32 Sportfish Cruiser to outboards?

Since Reggie is on line here often, perhaps I can get some feedback from THE real expert. Or, perhaps someone else has gone to an outboard powered Fountain and can give me some tips.

I have a model year 2000 32 Fountain Sportfish Cruiser. I like a LOT about this boat, but I learned to HATE the side-by-side engines. When the gas prices went up, and the engines needed rebuilding (about 850 hours), I threw in the towel and yanked those suckers out of the boat.

We can't go fast here in the Pacific anyway. Anything over about 35 knots and the champagne glasses break ;-) Seriously, in the fishing and cruising grounds here, gale force winds and 10 to 15 foot breaking seas are just not all that unusual. The Pacific is not a lake or the ICW. So over the past 8 years I've owned this boat, I've only been able to run it at over, say, 4000 RPMS about 1 hour out of about 700 hours.

We generally burn about 20 gallons per hour, for 20 to 35 knots of boat speed, depending on seas and need for tabs. 20 knots is about 50 times as common as 35. 20 gallons per hour is about 200 HP. So I think I only need about 200HP, but that should be continuous rated, and should be at the RPMs when the engines are most fuel efficient (aka peak torque).

When I started this project, I intended to build one good powertrain from the two I removed, and sell the other stuff. Selling one transom shield has paid for all the fiberglass work so far (filling in the transom, changing the stringers to prepare for a single engine on centerline).

I think running a single will result in MUCH better fuel efficiency, as about half the power to move the boat goes into just dragging the tabs around. I need LOTS of tabs to lift all that weight of the twins so far aft, combined with the NEED to keep the bow in so it runs smoother in the rough seas we get out here. When I can just raise the tabs, leaving the throttle alone, the speed goes from 20-22 knots (tabs down) to 32-35 knots (tabs up).

I've been playing on some single engine fish boats (Grady White, Mako, ...) in the 25-28 foot range. These things work GREAT with 200-250 HP outboards or 200HP diesels running in the 20-30 knot speed range.

If I went with outboards, I would double the size of the cockpit. The engine compartment currently uses up the aft half of the cockpit. It would be quite easy to extend the cockpit sole aft.

What should I do?

a) Install a single Mercruiser, small block or big block. Perhaps with a Bravo 3.

b) Install single or twin outboards, on a bracket or by extending the hull and moving the transom aft to (more-or-less) the end of the swim step.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I'm guessing your hull is the same or very similar to the 31' Fountain built back in the 1990's. Just a configuration change at the stern adding the swim platform and gaining the one foot length. It had twin outboards and the same or similar cabin.

I have the same boat as you but a 1996 with 7.4L Mercruisers. The boat has spent 14 years on the great lakes and we love the weather protection it provides and extends boatingour season.
ed

Last edited by Interceptor; 10-04-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We also love the weather protection and the ability to spend several days aboard at a time.

It is so similar to the 31 that there should be something I can learn from those. I have never been on one, and I don't know anyone who owns one.