Bmax on a 29 Fever >

Bmax on a 29 Fever

Notices

Bmax on a 29 Fever

Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bmax on a 29 Fever

Anyone try a Bmax on a 29 foot Fever? Pro's and con's would be great.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their was a guy from Northern Neck of Va, that had a 29 single with a big blower motor that kept braking Bravo drives. Went to the BMax, said the boat slowed down by a couple of mph, and, if I remember right, broke the BMax and said they had terrible customer service. Boats name was Crowd Pleaser.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Their was a guy from Northern Neck of Va, that had a 29 single with a big blower motor that kept braking Bravo drives. Went to the BMax, said the boat slowed down by a couple of mph, and, if I remember right, broke the BMax and said they had terrible customer service. Boats name was Crowd Pleaser.
That's interesting. Maybe this guy can check in. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Bmax.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

That may have been the OLD Bmax. Customer service with the NEW Bmax ownership is top notch. There are many improvements and upgrades to the new drives too. I love mine.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

The newer HT model is a nice piece. I took the front off to inspect the gears... Boy those gears and bearings are Hugh!
Also the HT has larger vertical shaft in the lower. Most people I hear with issues are doing the same thing most of us do with a bravo, put way over the rated horsepower into it. The HT is rated to 850hp and torque.
I'm at 703hp and 738lbft of torque so hoping not to have any issues.
It has the 1.3 gear ratio so I think a 28p bravo 1 4 blade will work ok.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Fever575sci
The newer HT model is a nice piece. I took the front off to inspect the gears... Boy those gears and bearings are Hugh!
Also the HT has larger vertical shaft in the lower. Most people I hear with issues are doing the same thing most of us do with a bravo, put way over the rated horsepower into it. The HT is rated to 850hp and torque.
I'm at 703hp and 738lbft of torque so hoping not to have any issues.
It has the 1.3 gear ratio so I think a 28p bravo 1 4 blade will work ok.
So you switched from AADS to the BMAX? Whats the reason?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered

I'm not switching from AADS, George is great but after blowing two upper drives in less than 12 hours of easy use it is time to get something that will handle the power. George did a good job but it is the crappy Mercury gears. First after a vertical shaft was broke I had him completely rebuild the XR drive with all new and upgraded parts. Lasted 8.5 hours and one tooth broke off the XR drive gear and broke the upper case... He rebuilt it again and we went with the XZ gears this time, lasted less than 3 hours and the pinion gear blew up.
I took it back to George and he said he had never seen one go like this so I took the pinion gear and tested it for hardness. It was very soft, I mean way out!!! So another Mercury quality control problem! I'm sending the gear back to him and he is going to get with Mercury on the issue.
I hate being afraid of opening it up and having it go boom! Both times after it was rebuilt it broke at around 3,500-4,000 rpm’s, right in the torque range and just cruising.
I got a great deal on the Bmax HT and George and I are going to go through it before I put it on. Already opened it up (looked inside) when I bought it so I know it is good shape.
He is working on rebuilding the XR drive agian with all the upgrades so at least if I do have a problem with the Bmax I will have a spare to throw on. He said he would cover it as it was no fault of mine and Mercury should work something out due to the soft gear issue. We will see how that plays out!

Last edited by 29Fever575sci; 10-12-2011 at 08:10 PM.