35 ICBM with 900s...?? >

35 ICBM with 900s...??

Notices

35 ICBM with 900s...??

Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 35 ICBM with 900s...??

I am thinking about what should be my next Fountain..... After going boating in various poker run / private races, I have found out the following: Top speed does matter a lot, but drivability at high speeds is what really matters. Fountain are UNIQUE there. Seaworthyness is also important along the coast. From my point of view, balance is more important than length here. The staggered boats are superior, and the drivetrain are much less a subject for failure with a staggered set upand it gain steady thrust too. We do have a few short lap races over here that are "non official". That means that the boat must accellerate quickly after each bouy. (Small boat = fast accelleration)

So my conclusion is: I want a boat that kick ass and that gets a lot of attention and victories for its performance. I want to WIN races, not just participate. It must be thilling to drive, and it must be easy to transport to events and not take weeks to polish. Also the fuel cost should be somewhat in mind too. Therefor a 35 ICBM would be a good alternative. BUT it should be extremely fast, and louder than all other 502 boats...

I am wondering if a cheap 35 ICBM with 496s could be a "cheap" way to get an extremely cool and fast boat.. Sell the 496s and the drives, and put on No6 drives and get some mean motors for it. About 900 hp each would be more that sufficient I guess. What engines would you reccomend which will last, and is lightweight? And possible to by at a low cost...? I am thinking dry exhaust over the swim platform, maybe also carburatored engines. But I guess an injected engine with whipples would be low enough to fit under the hatches. I am sure this would be a KILLER in any poker run. The stability in these boats are phenomenal!! I just miss loads of power to go real fast! (My 21 footer does 88 mph, so the equivalent in a 8000 pund Fountain would be around 120 mph.) :-)

Any inputs...? Speed? Has anyone done something similar before? I guess the No6 drives will move the engines foreward because of the transmission. Will it be possible to stagger them normally?

Thanks,
Erik

PS. I got this idea after doing a race in Stockholm this summer. I was fortunate to sit in the back seat of a MTI with 2 x 3500 hp T-55 turbines. The only boat we struggled to beat was a Fountain 38 with 700 Mercs tuned to 810 hp. It accellerated so fast and turned so fast, it was difficult to overtake it with a cat with rudder and Trimax drives.... The visibility in an open cockpit boat does matter alot when going into a turn. That was a big problem with the MTI, as it had no mirrors. FOUNTAIN IS THE REAL ****!!! Can outrun most other boats in heavy waters and long distances!!!!!!!

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 10-10-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGKFMr1uVo[/YOUTUBE]

My 35 with #6's and much less than 900 per side. It is very fun to drive and runs very well with the #6 drives in rough water.
Full staggered with great balance and superb handling. Very efficient set-up.

Last edited by Kelly O; 10-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm impressed, nice video
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kelly, that's smokin'!!!