Props in vs. out >

Props in vs. out

Notices

Props in vs. out

Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrash
On mine, I started out in and switched to out. Turning in pulls the stern down, turning out lifts the stern. On a 32 with twin big blocks, there is an awful lot of weight aft, so at everything under about 50 or so, the boat needs tabs down. Also, in rough ocean conditions here in the Pacific, the boat almost always needs some tabs down.

I found that by having the props turning in, I needed a little less tab, so it ran faster at partial throttle.

I could not measure a difference at top end, but It was easy to see the improvement at partial throttle.

Also, I found that its now much easier -- automatic really -- to turn the boat on a dime. Less radical turns are basically the same. However, moving the boat sideways when approaching the trailer to haul it out is a little tougher.

I am sure that Reggie set them up for max speed, so I'd stuck with what he did originally if you are all about max speed.

But try it: its easy to experiment if you've got Bravos.
I think you have that backward props spinning in will give you more stern lift , helps on the twins to get all that a$$ out of the water, I also run mine in , took a bit to get it right at the docks but you get the hang of it..
Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speedfreek1
I think you have that backward props spinning in will give you more stern lift , helps on the twins to get all that a$$ out of the water, I also run mine in , took a bit to get it right at the docks but you get the hang of it..
That's what I'm looking for. I've been trying a pair of Herring 33p 6 blades that are giving me a lot of stern lift. It want's to chine walk around 95 if trimmed up to 4 and it gets dicey past 100. When I get the -2 lowers on I want to try them both in and out. I'm also trying a pair of 5b Maximus to try and settle the stern. Hopefully with a little trial and error I'll figure out what works best for my boat.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Mike
Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreek1
Spinning "IN" gives you bow lift. Spinning "out" gives you stern lift. Period.

Spinning in can substantially increase top speed on big boats, like say a old 38 Top Gun, 42 Fountain, etc. Mainly because it helps carry the nose out of the water, with less positive trim, and reduced wetted surface.

Rarely does spinning out net a greater top speed on most V bottoms, stepped or not. Spinning out made my old 38 Fever run flat as a pancake, even at top speed the hull was wet. Spinning in, is quite a bit faster, and the boat will run on its pad.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LicenseToChill
I've been trying a pair of Herring 33p 6 blades that are giving me a lot of stern lift. It want's to chine walk around 95 if trimmed up to 4 and it gets dicey past 100.

Mike

Nice numbers! What are you running for power?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Nice numbers! What are you running for power?
Thanks!!!

Randy at Cobra just rebuilt my 525's and added Whipple's. They hit 784 on the dyno. With stock Bravo XR's we had a best of 103. Hopefully with the -2 Imco lowers and find the right props we should pick up some speed. I'm planning on sending it boat to RF over the winter so Reggie can make it really fly.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LicenseToChill
Thanks!!!

Randy at Cobra just rebuilt my 525's and added Whipple's. They hit 784 on the dyno. With stock Bravo XR's we had a best of 103. Hopefully with the -2 Imco lowers and find the right props we should pick up some speed. I'm planning on sending it boat to RF over the winter so Reggie can make it really fly.

SWEET!!!

Keep us posted on the -2's. Do you know what your X is now?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
SWEET!!!

Keep us posted on the -2's. Do you know what your X is now?
Will do..... Should have some numbers next week. My X is 18.25 and I think the drives are currently around 4" below the surface