Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
27' details and experience requested.... >

27' details and experience requested....

Notices

27' details and experience requested....

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
buy what you can afford.imo theres not that much diffrence worth writing home about.
this is the best advice so far^^
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by breakitout
this is the best advice so far^^
Indeed! By no means am I a wealthy man! Otherwise there would be a 52' Nor-tech in my drive....and a fountain for a tender!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by THEPISTONHEAD
Indeed! By no means am I a wealthy man! Otherwise there would be a 52' Nor-tech in my drive....and a fountain for a tender!!!!
Well put.......

I have a 27' and love it. Would I like to have a 29, sure, but the space i have to store the boat won't fit. My next boat won't be the 29 it will be the 35 but that is a few years from now.

Basically it all comes down to budget, space and being comfortable. Not knocking the comment, but the guy who said its basically a 24' boat. There is a world of differenece b/w a 24 Outlaw or SC and a 27 Fountain. I will say around docks and in tight spaces a twin 29 will be way easier to maneuver. That is one of the biggest downfalls of a singe 27. OR any single drive boat over 21'. My buddy has a 292 fastec twin that turns on a dime in close qtrs. Mine is a bit of a struggle. But on the otherhand you don't have to deal with two of everything. I'm not sure how far you plan on traveling but I haven't had any issues with fuel (other than the day I bought it, which is a completly different yet funny story). Finding a single 29 boat can sometimes be a bit of a problem as well. The people that have them, tend to hang on to them. One other thing I will throw out there is if you have never driven a twin screw, it's not worlds different but I would ride/drive with someone who is experience with two drives to show you a few things before you just haul off into the wild blue yonder. Personally, I am comfortable with a single or twin but I would not pull away from a dock in a triple. I could probably make it work but you see where I am going with this.

Thats just my .02

Feel free to send me a private message.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CraneHillFast
Well put.......

I have a 27' and love it. Would I like to have a 29, sure, but the space i have to store the boat won't fit. My next boat won't be the 29 it will be the 35 but that is a few years from now.

Basically it all comes down to budget, space and being comfortable. Not knocking the comment, but the guy who said its basically a 24' boat. There is a world of differenece b/w a 24 Outlaw or SC and a 27 Fountain. I will say around docks and in tight spaces a twin 29 will be way easier to maneuver. That is one of the biggest downfalls of a singe 27. OR any single drive boat over 21'. My buddy has a 292 fastec twin that turns on a dime in close qtrs. Mine is a bit of a struggle. But on the otherhand you don't have to deal with two of everything. I'm not sure how far you plan on traveling but I haven't had any issues with fuel (other than the day I bought it, which is a completly different yet funny story). Finding a single 29 boat can sometimes be a bit of a problem as well. The people that have them, tend to hang on to them. One other thing I will throw out there is if you have never driven a twin screw, it's not worlds different but I would ride/drive with someone who is experience with two drives to show you a few things before you just haul off into the wild blue yonder. Personally, I am comfortable with a single or twin but I would not pull away from a dock in a triple. I could probably make it work but you see where I am going with this.

Thats just my .02

Feel free to send me a private message.
Good info sir! Yeah twins would be nice but my budget says different at the moment.....I think. Time will tell.

As far as driving them, I drive 2, 3 and 4 engined boats for a living so if anything the single will be the greater challenge....LOL!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Registered

Love my 29, as someone else mentioned, finding one with a single engine for a decent price wasn't easy. I/my wallet didn't like the idea of 2x everything is why I bought the biggest single Fountain I could. Look at 1995+ models so you will have the stepped hull.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I moved from a 260 Chris Craft Stinger 26' and a few inches to a 29' Fever with twin 6.2s. Space on the inside of the boat is about the same. What you gain is the anchor locker which is really nice. I don't miss climbing into the bilge to drag out the anchor. I'm not sure if the 27 has the small sink you get in the 29 or the ice chest. Down below is tight on the 29. I can sit and I fit but I'm 5'9". I've never been below deck on the 27'. The twins are nice for docking and plane easier but the single 525 is about 5 m.p.h. faster. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CraneHillFast
Not knocking the comment, but the guy who said its basically a 24' boat. There is a world of differenece b/w a 24 Outlaw or SC and a 27 Fountain. IThats just my .02
No knocking taken
If you park a 27 Fever next to a 24 or 25 OL stern to stern, there is not much difference. That is why I think it's more of a 24½' boat. Again as with you, this is just how I see it. I like Fountains, have for a long time, so it's not to bash it, just opinion.

Carry on.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:22 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my .02 on this deal..he asked about the 27...not the 29...he didn't say please compare the 27 to the 29....I had a 27 it was a great boat 502 MPI did everything I asked it to do at that time mine was a 1998 after time you will love the left handed sticks....what years where you looking at???
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Not knocking the 27 (I have had 2 of them, a 1996 with an HP500 and a 2004 with a 496HO). Just speaking from 14 years of fooling around with quite a few Fountains'. IF he can afford it, and IF he has the space to put it, in my opinion, the new style 29 single (the one's with built in swim ladder and anchor locker) is a more satisfying package, overall. The 67 gallon gas tank on a 27 has its limitations, depending on where you boat; the 110 -119 gallon tank in the 29 gives you more "flexibility". The 29 has 1' longer cockpit, which seems much larger than that, when you jump out of a 27, and into the 29 - the difference is between the back seat and the back's of the front seats, and it is immediately noticable, and more "comfortable". The ride is marginally to not really noticably different, unless you start to get up in horsepower .... the stepped hull 27 will chine walk a lot quicker (been there too many times in higher hp 27s' ). The ammenities in the cuddy are a mute point in my opinion. The 29 gives you a built in cooler and a pressurized fresh water sink (that we never used in any of the 4 29's we had), but you sacrifice the port side bench seat for that - other than that, the cuddies are "the same". Again, I know he asked about a 27, and I'm not knocking the 27 - they are fun boats, just sayin' that I think the 29 is a choice to consider ... if it works for him .

Last edited by bob_t; 02-06-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THEPISTONHEAD
Good info sir! Yeah twins would be nice but my budget says different at the moment.....I think. Time will tell.

As far as driving them, I drive 2, 3 and 4 engined boats for a living so if anything the single will be the greater challenge....LOL!
It will not turn Right when you back up. So you will have to swing it in a left direction going forward and drop it in reverse. It makes you a better navigator i think. A lot of work to dock a single 27 or 29. It is a fun challenge in my book. You have to wait for things to happen somethimes. Step Hulls are faster but the boat will look smaller on the trailer. Just a thought. I loved my 27 and a 29 would have been cool too. but i was happy w the 27. Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.