Transducer Under Cabin Step??? >

Transducer Under Cabin Step???

Notices

Transducer Under Cabin Step???

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transducer Under Cabin Step???

Ok so I've read a lot of posts where people are saying they have a hand hole cover under the cabin step where you can put a transducer. I'm assuming this is a 6" hole plastic cover just line under the rear seat. I do not have this and am wondering if I'm looking in the wrong place. When i lift up the hinged door and pull up the carpet on the floor, there is a tiny tiny metal cap that looks just like a fuel fill but it's smaller. It's got 2 key indentions for a key but they are very close together unlike the fuel cap. I haven't taken the cap off, but if i could, the opening would be about the size of a 50 cent piece and no transducer could fit under there. I've also pulled back the carpet of the sides of the under-step to see if there is a hole under there by chance. No luck. So I need to know how to get under the floor to mount this transducer. any help would be appreciated. Thx.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

non stepped '94 27 had the gas fill looking cap in the step. Access to eyeball the hull I assume. Not big enough for anything else. Transducer was in bilge.

My stepped.'99 32 has the large white access lid in port side of the step storage. My transducer is inside that area.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
non stepped '94 27 had the gas fill looking cap in the step. Access to eyeball the hull I assume. Not big enough for anything else. Transducer was in bilge.

My stepped.'99 32 has the large white access lid in side of the step storage. Cap is located on side of sink. My transducer is inside that are.
Yeah, my 98' 32' has the stock one in the bilge but it's after the step hull so doesnt work above 3 mph. (why did they do that). Do you have any pics of where your access hole is under step? If I lift up lid, and pull up carpet on floor, is that where yours is? or is it on side of in side of step?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Sorry, wasn't clear.
It's on the side, inside of the step storage, not on the floor or under carpet. Open step lid, there it is.

BTW, My depth gauge only works when the boat is sitting still. Put it in gear, it stops reading. Messed around with it but never had any luck. Even tried a different puck, moving it around looking for that sweet spot. Appearantly mine doesn't have one.

Wildman Graphics has same boat with transducer in same spot as mine. His works up to 50mph or so. I think he said he replaced his though.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-06-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, wasn't clear.
It's on the side, inside of the step storage, not on the floor or under carpet. Open step lid, there it is.

BTW, My depth gauge only works when the boat is sitting still. Put it in gear, it stops reading. Messed around with it but never had any luck. Even tried a different puck, moving it around looking for that sweet spot. Appearantly mine doesn't have one.

Wildman Graphics has same boat with transducer in same spot as mine. His works up to 50mph or so. I think he said he replaced his though.
I think thats with a lot of boats get up past a certain speed and they dont read. Personally I think it has to do more with units being able to read and calibrate fast enough to do this. I thought I read on certain GPS's with tranducers they will read up to a certain speed. My thought on is if your going fast enough and dont know the area you wont be able to react quick enough to unscrew the situation anyways.

Sometimes I find its better to just keep going then slow down anyways, because slowing down and everything creates more draft then just being up on plain.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

Sorry, wasn't clear.

So If I'm on my knees inside the cabin and facing the step, I open the step lid and it's on the left or right side? I'm thinking mine doesnt have one since it has the fuel cap looking thing on the floor under the the step (under the carpet). If I don't have one, is there another place I can put it or get to the bottom hull before the step? I noticed a 6" hand hole under the rear seat but never looked under it. Would that be an option? Cut out a hole under the cabin step?? Give me some ideas, US1. I know you know ur stuff.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FREAKY FAST
So If I'm on my knees inside the cabin and facing the step, I open the step lid and it's on the left or right side? I'm thinking mine doesnt have one since it has the fuel cap looking thing on the floor under the the step (under the carpet). If I don't have one, is there another place I can put it or get to the bottom hull before the step? I noticed a 6" hand hole under the rear seat but never looked under it. Would that be an option? Cut out a hole under the cabin step?? Give me some ideas, US1. I know you know ur stuff.
Mine is on the port side inside the step. Maybe someone replaced the carpet and covered it. Mine is a 98 32' and it has the same plug in the bottom. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JoCo32
Mine is on the port side inside the step. Maybe someone replaced the carpet and covered it. Mine is a 98 32' and it has the same plug in the bottom. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Yeah, bro! If you could take some pics that would be awesome! thx, man!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FREAKY FAST

Yes, mines on the port side. I don't have the gas fill cap in my 32. (My 27 did, so I know what you are referring too) There is no flooring in my step that would require that. It's open to the hull bottom and used to have the cabin bilge pump mounted to hull bottom inside the step. (I actually removed the pump yrs ago from there) The access cover under the rear bench is to access the gas tank sender. I don't think the transducer would work if you did cut the step floor out as you suggest. If I recall correctly from someone at FPB a few yrs ago telling me, that the hull is cored approx 12" out both directions from the center/keel. That's why the transducer was located underneath the sink cabinet flooring, moves it to solid hull. The access hole/cover where mine is is cut thru the stringer. That's a full 1 1/2" of stringer wood. I'd have trouble cutting thru that if it were me in hopes the depth gauge would work. You might consider, if you still wish, to remove the cabin seat bottom (just a couple long screws located in the seam) on the starboard side and cut a hole thru the floor towards the locker and locate the transducer in there. Be same location as mine is, but on opposite side of boat, and not compromising the hull itergrety. You'd just be cutting thru plywood.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys I put my transducer on the port side just under the motor and it works up to 60 0r 70 mph it was a option to my garman ,I also have a 32 with one step.
Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.