07 full stagger 07

Notices

07 full stagger 07

Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 full stagger 07

has anyone twisted or broken a input shaft that bolts to the front of the driveshaft and slips into the coupler of the forward motar on a full stagger.
To my surprise mine was twisted, and also surprised how small it is in diameter. Have Imco scx's and doing up motars and find this small shaft, the new weak link.
Also surprised nowone makes an aftermarket hardened or updated shaft, I installed a new merc one, but a little worried about it.

Thanks Joe
Old 03-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Airking
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes on my old full stagger Powerplay I replaced a couple of twisted ones. I had stellings boxes on mine. From what I remember the shaft was somewhat short on the forward motor and was incorporated into the bell housing with a round flange hookup to the driveshaft. And was usually caused by reentry after catching some air or just trimming it out too far,causing too much surfacing of propellers, as in the second pic. This was before xr's were availabe. I could also loose a propshaft on any given day from using too much trim. Lost many a prop and shaft with that boat.
Attached Thumbnails 07 full stagger 07-motors.jpg   07 full stagger 07-powerplay30001.jpg  

Last edited by Boater8987; 03-31-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JMPH
has anyone twisted or broken a input shaft that bolts to the front of the driveshaft and slips into the coupler of the forward motar on a full stagger.
To my surprise mine was twisted, and also surprised how small it is in diameter. Have Imco scx's and doing up motars and find this small shaft, the new weak link.
Also surprised nowone makes an aftermarket hardened or updated shaft, I installed a new merc one, but a little worried about it.

Thanks Joe
Yes. Although not a true full stagger, my 2005 busted the shaft on my port/forward 525. Just another weekend ruined while on a fun-run poker run.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

not to be smart, but we can upgrade a bravo style drive to handle more power and no one makes a better shaft, something someone will have to think of and produce like the hardened prop shafts.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

isnt there a place that does cryogenics i think that what its called,
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

In my IMO the shaft need's to be larger in diameter, not a big deal, can go to a smaller bearing and leave everything else the same, something like the imput shaft on imco scx drive with the u joints.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Input shaft on SCX is the same as a Bravo.
My shortshaft busted in 3 pieces and the input twisted after the Bravo locked up. The aluminum coupler splines were fine but the insert wasn't in the rubber very straight