new 35' Fountain owner

Notices

new 35' Fountain owner

Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andywenk
hello all, my family and i are proud new owners of a 35' fountain. Its a 91 with new reuphostelered interior, twin 510s blown, supposedly rebuilt bravo 1s (well see), and a new stereo. I just have a few questions, im sure someone can answer, as i was not with my inlaws when they picked it up or id asked the previous owners mechanic.

1) when winterizing, i was told by my father in law, that he watched the mechanic pour antifreeze thru the rear transom mounted shower hookup. Simple enough, i just am curious as to which valves to open and which ones to close. I see two valves on the hose that comes from the shower to each motor (so essentially there are two for port and two for starboard). I can not see where the hoses go exactly as the motors are crammed in so darn tight. I dont know if anyone even has a clue what im talking about.
(one shuts down the water pickup from the drive the other opens up hose from the flush port)
2) the motors have water pump bypasses on them, so i guess i can pull them apart to see if tstats are in them, but if i follow the hose that comes out of the heat exchanger, theres a black "box" that is in the hose that looks like a tstat may live in there, i really dont know i guess unless i take it apart.(should be a tstat in normal location on front of the block below charger saw alot of older sc boats without one run better cold but require more frequent oil changes as condensation will develop)

3) what is the curculation route for water from the drives to the raw water pump then thru the motor? I see the intake and discharge on the pump i can not physically see where the hoses go. (from the pressure side of the pump runs around the back of the motor to the cooler then up to the cross over hose (typical)

4) what should water pressure be at idle then thru wot? Im trying to help my father in law along so he has no trouble with the boat, naturally the son in law will fix it when it breaks, im just trying to keep up on this boat and not knowing all the ins and outs would definitely help me a ton...thanks agian everyone!!!
18-30
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blown Income, I guess we bought it from that guy, it was from Vermont, so needless to say it was a haul from St. Louis to VT to get it....in a foot of snow.

But we took it out for its maiden voyage, all is well with it, mind you it had 2 yr old gas still in it and it still ran 85. Just a few minor things need to be done to it. The dual carb, blower set up on it is a little sketchy when putting it in gear, the idle speed either needs to be changed or something, she always wants to stall when throwing it in gear. I found some moisture under the front bed in the storage compartment, but from what Ive read, this seems to be a common thing. Oh and the oil temp reached 300 on one motor, Im contributing that to 5500 RPM all out runs and a dying water pump, the pressure bounces around alot on that motor. Other than that, Im pretty happy with her.

Thanks to all the guys who responded. Im sure Ill have more questions. Thanks!!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andywenk
Blown Income, I guess we bought it from that guy, it was from Vermont, so needless to say it was a haul from St. Louis to VT to get it....in a foot of snow.

But we took it out for its maiden voyage, all is well with it, mind you it had 2 yr old gas still in it and it still ran 85. Just a few minor things need to be done to it. The dual carb, blower set up on it is a little sketchy when putting it in gear, the idle speed either needs to be changed or something, she always wants to stall when throwing it in gear. I found some moisture under the front bed in the storage compartment, but from what Ive read, this seems to be a common thing. Oh and the oil temp reached 300 on one motor, Im contributing that to 5500 RPM all out runs and a dying water pump, the pressure bounces around alot on that motor. Other than that, Im pretty happy with her.

Thanks to all the guys who responded. Im sure Ill have more questions. Thanks!!
The Carbs were probably built by Nickerson Performance Carburetors
http://nickersonperformance.com/
If they didn't tell them the application ie motors blowers and altitude send them the carbs and they will go threw them and dial them in.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 253
Congrats on the 91 Fountain, a great boat,well built , I run a 1990, 35 Lightning, great boat ,it run's and handles like a fine sports car, and rides great, as far as water pressure I run 18 psi on each engine, as far as winterizing, i'm with soldier 4402,, first I drain the blocks and exhaust, then put on the muff's and run 8 gal of 50-50 anti freeze thru each engine.
Yeah I know people have methods but I think going through drive is ensuring anti freeze is getting from the lowest point possible to the highest point.. One thing is dont pay somebody to it, it takes all of 10-15mins to dot. I also kill the engines with fogger the last few gallons, you may not want to do if he has blowers.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we put 93 in it with a blend of 110, talk about a pricey gas weekend, it seems to be helpin but I have a suspicion the carbs need work as the boat came from the far east coast. So well see. Thanks guys!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/category_s/42.htm

try ther for carb rebuild kits. On my 91 Im having mine rebuilt as we speak.