Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Cam Profile, Water Reversion & Silent Choice >

Cam Profile, Water Reversion & Silent Choice

Notices

Cam Profile, Water Reversion & Silent Choice

Old 06-26-2002, 04:39 PM
pmcrespo

Default Cam Profile, Water Reversion & Silent Choice

Trying to come up with the best cam-exhaust combination for the carburated 502 mag on my 27 Fever.

I want to keep the silent choice operational. Does anyone have any input on which is the best exhaust selection that can accomodate the most aggressive cam profile without creating water reversion problems and still maintain the silent choice????

It just seems to be an issue of finding the best "anti-reversion" exhaust out there and then selecting a cam according to the exhaust manufacturer's tests and recommendations......

Does anyone have same setup? What do you have installed - cam, exhaust, intake, and carb......

As always, thanks in advance for your input....

Old 06-26-2002, 04:46 PM
MIdnightRider

I would assume that your exhaust is a wet system rather than, dry water jacketed. I think that will deter how aggressive your cam can be. Dick Esch @ More Power is really good with cam set ups, and nice enough to help, 616-785-8888. Midnight

Old 06-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am running LIGHTNING silent choice headers with an ULTRA DYNE gring #BB 284/292F/O
251-259 at .050 / .601-.625 / 110 deg lobe sep / solid flat tappet.
Good lopey idle and runs great.
Nothing against MORE POWER but they do run things a little conservative by my standards.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:44 PM
MIdnightRider

Tinker- In many cases there is a thin line between conservative and smart. But I will say he slapped some whopper cams in my Baja motor, it was like 570 dynoed hp with no compression or real head work. He did this cut for me and first for Jeff that owned that 24 Challenger that ran about 83. Jeff and I were just talking about that set up last weekend. Both of our Boats flew for what they were, and I give it up to Dick. He isn't cheap but you get what you pay for, and he will take a phone call from you for questions when ever he is there. Or shoot the **** when you stop by, and that is more than I can say for most builders I have met. But this time around I bought the power, it was much cheaper that way. Midnight

Old 06-27-2002, 06:27 PM
pmcrespo

Thanks guys. I just got back from shop talking with our local engine builder and he threw out a couple custom grinds that were aggressive while still keeping the lobe deg at about 112 while running Gils or the such that would allow the silent choice to stay barely usable....

I think we'll be shooting to squeeze about 625 hp normally aspirated from what will end up being like about a 510 ci while looking at about $5,000 max. I continue to wrestle with the idea of going blower but the issue of that 40% unused/unburned fuel consumed at anything but WOT keeps on resurfacing. I guess that ultimately, at 625 hp target, it continues to be a toss-up decission.....

We'll see. Sometimes I just feel like dropping a small blower with a matching Holley carb and a set of Gils or Danas and letting it rip at about 4 psi with no other mods. Anybody done this on an older 502 with about 300 hours????