Swivel pin and leak >

Swivel pin and leak

Notices

Swivel pin and leak

Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Swivel pin and leak

My mechanic and I are trying to nail downa water leak. Just to rule out something. The bellows, shift boots are newer and no holes, all the intake hosing that comes from the drive to the engine has been replaced.

This is an ongoing issue from last year and finally getting around to it this spring. water comes in the top most hold on the inner transome assembly/bracket where the steering arm goes in. It gets worse when people are standing on the back. Mechanic seems to think that its the transom seal, I disagree in tha that the water comes in above that seal if it wsa that seal the water would come in around the drive shaft and would be a more constant flow as its always under water or close to be underwater, thats why I thing its the swivel pin because if you watch it leak its congruent with waves so as waves go in and out you can see it. He also tried the method of shaking the drives back and forth and they dont slip so he doesnt think its the swivel pin. He knows more than I do, but I just dont see it being the transom seal, its not a salt water boat and doesnt seem to be common.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In the process of doing swivel pins right now.... You have to tear it down far enough you might as well replace bellows and hoses while our that far in.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

hes going from the outside, the bellows are fairly new but will check into that. Hes diving back into it today, but if he does the transom seal motors have to go. But I just dont think its the transom seal if its leaking that high it has to be the swivel pin.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can probably test the transom seal by putting a temporary bead of silicone around the upper part of the housing. back it down the ramp and check.

its probably the seal on the bottom of the swivel pin. your pin can be good (you say mechanic shook drives back and forth), but that doesnt mean the seal is good or seated.

I've had the upper nut, that holds the pin in place, back off a few turns. it didn't let the drive shake back and forth, but it was enough to un-seat the seal. once i found it I was hoping I could just tighten the nut and reseat the seal, but the water rotted the seal and rusted the pin. So plan on a pin and seal replacement. JRmarine has a kit.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
you can probably test the transom seal by putting a temporary bead of silicone around the upper part of the housing. back it down the ramp and check.

its probably the seal on the bottom of the swivel pin. your pin can be good (you say mechanic shook drives back and forth), but that doesnt mean the seal is good or seated.

I've had the upper nut, that holds the pin in place, back off a few turns. it didn't let the drive shake back and forth, but it was enough to un-seat the seal. once i found it I was hoping I could just tighten the nut and reseat the seal, but the water rotted the seal and rusted the pin. So plan on a pin and seal replacement. JRmarine has a kit.
thanks whatever he says Im going to tell him to just do it I think.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
thanks whatever he says Im going to tell him to just do it I think.
Soldier---who is doing the work if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

local guy out of his garage, used to work at marinas now does this on the side, he does real good work and is reasonable. Rather not throw the guys name out on the internet.

Last edited by soldier4402; 05-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
local guy out of his garage, used to work at marinas now does this on the side, he does real good work and is reasonable. Rather not throw the guys name out on the internet.
Oh I hear ya no worries...know couple good shops up there if you guys get in a jam. Didn't know if you were using one of my local mechanics

Last edited by cuposterchild; 05-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Registered

yeah PM me some names, always willing to try other things. If you want this guys name i can give it to you as well.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

Ok he got it apart and low and behold its the seals on the swivel pin. Wont know until he opens it up using the JR marine kit if I need a new swivel pin and such.