29 Fever - 20 Questions >

29 Fever - 20 Questions

Notices

29 Fever - 20 Questions

Old 06-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29 Fever - 20 Questions

Hello, new to the forum. My name is Tommy.

Want to step up from a 2000 Maxum 2300 SC (24'11") Cuddy cabin, 5.7 mercruiser carb 2 barrel ~260 HP, alpha one, 47-50 mph top end @ 4400 rpm, cruise generally @3200 rpm 25-30, no trim tabs, 5th summer, Lake Cumberland exclusively.*

Looking for a 29 fever, single engine, leaning towards a 2002.

Below are some questions that I'm looking for clarification, advice on and I know you guys know after scouring and searching this forum and reading your posts.

Sorry if any have been answered before that I may have missed the answer to while searching.*

1. *Is 2002 first year of the windshield?

2. Can an older year be converted to a windshield?

3. Are there Two different heights of windshields on 29s, does tall one block all the wind while standing *WOT and lower one none/some at WOT?

4. *2002 newest and latest hull design? Steps, R&D etc.

5. 2002 first year for anchor locker?

6. Do 500s and 525s need 300 hour service, consists of what, if so typical costs? I've read valves and or just springs

7. Any advice/warnings about a repowered boat ?

8. 2002 single engine 525 within $50k range?

9. Would you sleep 2 adults, 1 child for 2 nights weekly on boat thru summer months?

10. *Bed big enough for two adults under 6'-0" to sleep? What is bed length?

11. Wife question: How do you get to the bow from the cockpit? Does the cuddy hatch open enough to crawl out of of? Assuming most straddle the windshield from passenger side

12. What are common problems with this year, model? Leaks, rattles, etc

13.*Does 2002 single engine have the "extended cockpit"?

14.*Is 2002 first year for 3 piece Bimini enclosure, how much to purchase one, is it possible to add a full enclosure?

15. Do most 02's have silent choice exhaust?*

16. I think this one has been beat to death but Top end mph and planing time differences between*
500 vs 525

17. Expected resale value of 2002 5 years from now? I haven't seen any 29s any year under $30k ready for water

18. What is Gross weight of boat, single engine, full tank of gas and tri axle trailer? Can a 2003 silverado SS, 6.0 liter, all wheel drive pull this boat?*

19. Any considerable differences between 02, 03, 04 that would be worth waiting for?

20. What outdrive best suits the 525? Could be wrong but I think it could be bravo 1 or bravo xr

*Thank you all for your time, hope that wasn't too long winded.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a 29' but no way do I know the answers to all of your ?s!

3. The windshield does NOT keep all the wind off you while standing. I'm 5'9" and I have to slide my feet forward to get out of the wind while "semi standing."

6. 525s (according to my dealer) require a vale job / spring replacement at about 250 hrs.

8. Price of a clean 2006 with 525 was 69K at my dealer on a nice trailer.

9. Two adults down below and one child on the back seat would work.

11. Through the hatch. Yes. (Trust that your wife is thin...)

14. Tops are nice but there is no place to store one. You can have whatever you want made.

15. Mine has silent choice. It cuts the noise a bit but most of the "music" still comes from the engines!

18. Boat = about 6000 pounds. 850 for full tank + 50 for water. Aluminum trailer about 1700#. Steel will be more.

19. Swim ladder on the later models and more room on stern for boat name if you plan on having your boat documented.

20. 525 comes with XR drive.

Hopefully others on the forum will fill in my many blanks. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

We've got a 27', but there are some similarities and/or observations I've made (friend has a 29'). Responses in blue.

Originally Posted by thmsj46

3. Are there Two different heights of windshields on 29s, does tall one block all the wind while standing *WOT and lower one none/some at WOT? Not sure if you have alligators in the water like we do on the Ohio, but I've sit while driving my boat about 1% or less. I'm always standing or slouching slightly to ensure I can see the alligators!

5. 2002 first year for anchor locker?Not sure, but, your asking so I assume you can imagine the tremendous value of an anchor locker!

8. 2002 single engine 525 within $50k range?Not that I've found. Seems to be $65k ~ $70k with 525.

9. Would you sleep 2 adults, 1 child for 2 nights weekly on boat thru summer months?Like was previously mentioned 2 adults in cabin, and a short child on rear bench. Cover them with OFF first! ;-)

10. *Bed big enough for two adults under 6'-0" to sleep? What is bed length? At least - depends on how you stack 'em - could be more! haha!

11. Wife question: How do you get to the bow from the cockpit? Does the cuddy hatch open enough to crawl out of of? Assuming most straddle the windshield from passenger side On our 27's, she climbs over the windshield using the passenger grab handle as a foot hold.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered

Thank you for your replies! I'm a little partial to the look of the windshield but I could care less about the wind really, I say bring it on! I stand most of the time while driving too. I'm in a little of a jam the wife wants a cruiser but I have the FEVER and I'm trying to justify the amenities of the fever to our current boat and vs. a cruiser. We spend all our time on the boat from the time we get down to the time we leave, so that's why some of the questions are geared more towards the creature comforts like the wind, Bimini, bed, anchor locker cause we cove out every night.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

In my opinion, the 29 is not much bigger than the 27 in terms of staying over night. The boat rides better, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend a weekend on it.

Originally Posted by thmsj46
Thank you for your replies! I'm a little partial to the look of the windshield but I could care less about the wind really, I say bring it on! I stand most of the time while driving too. I'm in a little of a jam the wife wants a cruiser but I have the FEVER and I'm trying to justify the amenities of the fever to our current boat and vs. a cruiser. We spend all our time on the boat from the time we get down to the time we leave, so that's why some of the questions are geared more towards the creature comforts like the wind, Bimini, bed, anchor locker cause we cove out every night.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

Get the Fever make friends with someone that has a cruiser that you could tie up to for the comforts.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by the mayor
Get the Fever make friends with someone that has a cruiser that you could tie up to for the comforts.
I hear ya there Mayor! We usually are tied up with friends and crusiers. She can go on their boat, lol.

I've convinced myself and her almost that this is the biggest, baddest single engine boat there is and we need one!

We boat early March/April to late October so it gets cool at night sometimes, so whatever we end up with I'll have to get the full enclosure made to keep her happy and I think after a few high speed cruises thru some chop and it feels like a cadillac she'll be more than happy.

I'm not so hung up on the 525 now either after researching some more, I was under the impression the 500's were 65 mph boats but I'm reading more like 74-76. Must have been a 496 spec I read.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer your question on the re-power.

Re-power with stock merc or well know brand ok, however merc engines will hold their value better than an off brand home made. Unless you know the builder and rigger I would stay away.

29 is a good boat, there is one my lake with a single 502mpi stock, my friend has 27 with a single 502mpi and the 29 walks it, same prop, both single step.....someone explain that
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
To answer your question on the re-power.

Re-power with stock merc or well know brand ok, however merc engines will hold their value better than an off brand home made. Unless you know the builder and rigger I would stay away.

29 is a good boat, there is one my lake with a single 502mpi stock, my friend has 27 with a single 502mpi and the 29 walks it, same prop, both single step.....someone explain that
I've read that the 29s are faster than the 27s due to more R&D on the hulls. There's a 2000 29 patriot graphics for sale in Cumberland but it has been repowered with a 496. A new, fresh engine I'm sure is great but it always makes me wonder how they took care of the rest of the boat if the engine went bad. I know there's some unknown circumstances but I'm a little leary of a repower.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

The 27' was available in 1999 with wrap around windshield, anchor box and ladder. The 29 is faster with the same power. The 27 only holds 60gal of fuel. about 130 mile range. If you can get into a 29' 525 that would be the boat to buy. Was on e for sale here in Jacksonville Fl I think he was asking $57,000 don't know if it sold If your intrested I could give the owner a call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.