Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42/700 speed problems/ Fuel positioning... >

42/700 speed problems/ Fuel positioning...

Notices

42/700 speed problems/ Fuel positioning...

Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 42/700 speed problems/ Fuel positioning...

Hi guys,

wonder what is the best positioning of the fuel for absolute top speed in a 42 Lightning with four tanks?

To my knowledge, a V-bottom boat that is as light as possible in the bow, will run faster than a heavy bow, BUT with Fountains stepped hull, it seem like there is not so anymore.. The question to you who actually own one is; -Where do you put the fuel to go super fast?

I am going to visit a customer who bought a 2007 42 with 700s/No6s in 2010 who experience several problems..

1) The boat is having excessive prop slip when going on plan. The engines needs to go all the way up in the 5500 rpm range to make the boat come up on plane at all. Even with the lowest trim possible and with the tabs down. I have never experienced that with any other Fountain before!!

2) This summer, I had the boat to 80 knots/92 mph. on GPS. That was with 8 persons and a bit of fuel onboard. The ECMs have been modified at Whipple before the boat left the US and the engines ran all the way up to 6000 rpm at 92 mph.

I have saved the performance report on my computer from when this boat was advertized by South Austin Marine back in 2010. It shows 107 mph. @ 5350 rpm running 37,5" Hering 6-blade props. It also shows that the boat has 120 gals of fuel (when put in the water I guess).

HOW THE H**L is it possible that the boat runs only 92 mph at 6000? I woder if someone have changed the gears.

Any info about all this will be greatly apprechiated. It is this specific boat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f320F...eature=related

Thanks!! Erik

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 10-01-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

First things first, don't believe the top speed on the performance report. Mine is exactly what a prop calc would show. I know they test the boats, but I am not sure if they hold brand new, un-broken in engines wide open on each new boat to get a top speed number. He also runs down river in the vids My report shows 5 mph higher than my absolute best speed, and 8 mph higher than my every day speed. That being said that boat should still run 105 stock, the whipple mods should get it to 110

Are the props still the same as the test report? You have some really high slip numbers (either prop or tranny) Wondering if someone hit bottom and had the props repaired or worked?

Getting a high x boat on plane is never fun, however that is completely out of wack. In fact those #6 drives have vent tubes to cause cav to get those big props moving, right from the factory, because those big wheels hook too much until they surface.

Start with a stock set of props, the exact ones that fountain spec'd and go from there.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. The case is that the props seem to bite, but when trimming up to get the boat to air out they suddenly "slip" or cavitate. Runs into the rev limiter. 6000 rpm is a lot on a 700 and if the boat ran 107 when new, it is some bugs here somwhere...

I remember I spoke to South Austin Marine before he bought the boat and he told me he knew the boat had hit 111 mph it ist best. I believe the previous owner is also a member of OSO and had the ATX427 nickname here. From my poor memory, I (think) I remember to have read that the previous owner did several modifications to the props to get a top speed and that this boat was "dialed in" after houres of testing. Maybe also after the Whiple mods were done. But also that he kept these props for his new 42/700 boat.... It matches with the fact that the boat was sent without props, and that the props came later.

I will check the bottom and see if it is straight. As american boat trailers can are not legal to tow around with in Europe, the owner sold the trailer for a few grand (BIG mistake!), so the guys who have the storage of the boat, has probably put it on some kind of blocks/supports. Probably at the middle of the aft hull... Another mistake!!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Yamaha 225
Thanks for the reply. The case is that the props seem to bite, but when trimming up to get the boat to air out they suddenly "slip" or cavitate. Runs into the rev limiter. 6000 rpm is a lot on a 700 and if the boat ran 107 when new, it is some bugs here somwhere...

I remember I spoke to South Austin Marine before he bought the boat and he told me he knew the boat had hit 111 mph it ist best. I believe the previous owner is also a member of OSO and had the ATX427 nickname here. From my poor memory, I (think) I remember to have read that the previous owner did several modifications to the props to get a top speed and that this boat was "dialed in" after houres of testing. Maybe also after the Whiple mods were done. But also that he kept these props for his new 42/700 boat.... It matches with the fact that the boat was sent without props, and that the props came later.

I will check the bottom and see if it is straight. As american boat trailers can are not legal to tow around with in Europe, the owner sold the trailer for a few grand (BIG mistake!), so the guys who have the storage of the boat, has probably put it on some kind of blocks/supports. Probably at the middle of the aft hull... Another mistake!!
So the owner kept the props, and just threw whatever on to sell the boat?

Find out what props he has now, compare them to what fountain spec'd, then ask others. I am sure the stock props will be close even with the whipple mods.

Guess he could have bottom problems, but dirty water from the bottom will not cause a planing problem....even so it would have to be really bad to cause a loss of 20 mph on top speed. Save your self the time of checking the bottom and check thos props.

Anyone in your area have #6 props you can try?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 42 Fountain 700 6 drives

I have the same boat purchased it late last year. This spring when I tested I could only get to 98 to 99 and all over the rev limiter. The boat had alot of slip. The boat came with 37 x 17 6 blade herrings. One thing I witnessed do not use the mechanical trim indicators use the smart craft drive indicators only. If you are off by .5 on drives this will creat alot of slip. The tabs at 2.5 and the drives 5.5 to 6 for top speed any higher you hit the rev limiter. I purchased a new set of props this summer from herring made a difference on slip and went to 37.5 x 17 x 6 blades. The boat will hit 97 at 4750 and 106 at 5300. I think if a did a soley run with 1/4 tank I could gain at leat 2 mph. The finishes and the blade edge is crucial so if the props are worn and they need to be sent back to herring. I will send my second set out this year to herring.

Coming out of the whole I have no problem tabs down top rpm to 4000 and ease back throttles and lift tabs and the boat is hooked all the way. I have found with the 42 fill the rear tanks this will help bow lift when trimming. Here is a video of my boat couple of weeks ago with 3/4 (240 gals) tanks and three people heading into a head wind. In the video we were at 106 running next to a skater that can hit 130 + varifying my speed on both gps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-rG5biJI2Y

Ken
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the Fountain reports I can say I have had 5 fountains and have hit the numbers on all the test reports. Tested with gps and radar guns for varification. If you have a I phone download the free ap for speed gps and this will give you a reference to make sure your instruments are on.

Keep me posted.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by klalonde
I have the same boat purchased it late last year. This spring when I tested I could only get to 98 to 99 and all over the rev limiter. The boat had alot of slip. The boat came with 37 x 17 6 blade herrings. One thing I witnessed do not use the mechanical trim indicators use the smart craft drive indicators only. If you are off by .5 on drives this will creat alot of slip. The tabs at 2.5 and the drives 5.5 to 6 for top speed any higher you hit the rev limiter. I purchased a new set of props this summer from herring made a difference on slip and went to 37.5 x 17 x 6 blades. The boat will hit 97 at 4750 and 106 at 5300. I think if a did a soley run with 1/4 tank I could gain at leat 2 mph. The finishes and the blade edge is crucial so if the props are worn and they need to be sent back to herring. I will send my second set out this year to herring.

Coming out of the whole I have no problem tabs down top rpm to 4000 and ease back throttles and lift tabs and the boat is hooked all the way. I have found with the 42 fill the rear tanks this will help bow lift when trimming. Here is a video of my boat couple of weeks ago with 3/4 (240 gals) tanks and three people heading into a head wind. In the video we were at 106 running next to a skater that can hit 130 + varifying my speed on both gps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-rG5biJI2Y

Ken
Ken, please don't post any more videos of you walking by me

Love the boat BTW, glad you could make it to the run.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Thank you guys fr all the interesting info and a cool video of a VERY fast 42. I love it :-)

I checked out the 42 last weekend. First in the air and then on the water.

-Bottom were cleaned and made perfect. I checked that the running surfaces were perfectly straight, and they were.
-The drives are set very high. When you look under the boat towards the props, the only thing I can see is the skegs and the props. The "torpedo" of the lower unit is totally above the hull.
Props are clean and without scraches.
-The trim indicator on this boat is very confusing... The scale goes from 1 to 7, and 7 is the most negative trim. To any sane person, low down on a scale (for example 1) should have been far down, and up would be for example 7. This is the case with all the Fountains with Bravo drives. Now here it is the opposite. To make this even more confusing, the needle shows 4,3 when the drives are at the very top position (shallow beach/trailer position). A level trim angle is 6. It means that under normal driving conditions, 7 is max negative trim, and 5 is about a "normal high" prop axle degree. Everything from 4,3 and all the way up to 1 is never possible to reach, as the needle will never get into that area whatever you do... Why this boat is llike this is hard to understand. But the performance report tell me that ithas been like this from it was new. Why they have not put in other bracets on the drives that make the cable run all the way form 1 to 7 is to me very strange.

We topped up the rear tanks and the forward tanks were already empty.

On the water, the boat glides slowly on plane at 2350 rpm with the drives at the bottom and the flaps almost fully down (5,5). But it takes some time. It is also possible to get it faster up with higher revs, but to make it get on plane with much throttle, it is neccesary to pull the throttle slowly backwards to let the props gain grip. If not, the props has a huge rpm and the boat will not plane. At the top speed, trim angle 6 is what gave best speed. It barely touched 100 mph. on a Northstar GPS but nothing more.... And we ran both directions in the same water to get a more precise reading. Over 5,5 in trim, the port prop seemed to loose its grip and the engines over rev. These boats will of course be taken by side wind and that the driver must correct with a little steering angle to one side to get the boat to go straight foreward is natural. But that seem to let one prop get more water than the other (because of the V-bottom). I think that is why the prop looses its grip. It is very frustrating, as the stern feels like it want to "prop ride" like a single enginge outboard ith a high engine can do as it is only the other prop that ha sgrip. One thing that I got to think of would be to increase the diameter of the prop so that it would have more water to work with. Is this a good solution to the problem? The props are six blade Herings with 37,5 inch pitch.

The engines have been tuned with the whipple stage III kit. This boat should fly!! At 110 mph. The kit was added after the boat left the US. I suspect the fuel required to run this kit would be 93 minimum. Here, there are almost no marinas who have more than 91 octane (95 unleaded as we call it here due to the RON/MON case which is different in USA versus Europa). Any input on that would be great. Shouldn't a 700 SCI run on 93 in the first case?? The port engine had some problems as it felt like it was "back firing" maybe 5 times during the half houre test run. It lost its power in a half second. But only at full throttle. This is also the case with a 700 SCI in a Nor-Tech I have been driving this summer. Is this a common problem with 700s? For the poker runs, it should be possible to go WOT on "cruise control" as the hull can handle it with ease.

I would love to get some info and impressions from others with the same boat/engine package. Larger props for better handling and maybe remove the Whipple kit is what I now want to do. But is this right or wrong...?

The port engine has also lower water pressure. 1 bar opposed to 2 on the starboard engine....

Thank you for the input.
Erik :-)

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 10-11-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Yamaha 225
Thank you guys fr all the interesting info and a cool video of a VERY fast 42. I love it :-)

I checked out the 42 last weekend. First in the air and then on the water.

-Bottom were cleaned and made perfect. I checked that the running surfaces were perfectly straight, and they were.
-The drives are set very high. When you look under the boat towards the props, the only thing I can see is the skegs and the props. The "torpedo" of the lower unit is totally above the hull.
Props are clean and without scraches.
-The trim indicator on this boat is very confusing... The scale goes from 1 to 7, and 7 is the most negative trim. To any sane person, low down on a scale (for example 1) should have been far down, and up would be for example 7. This is the case with all the Fountains with Bravo drives. Now here it is the opposite. To make this even more confusing. The needle shows 4,3 when the drives are at the very top position (shallow beach/trailer position). A level trim angle is 6. It means that under normal driving conditions, 7 is max negative trim, and 5 is about a "high" prop axle degree. Everything from 4,3 and all the way up to 1 is never possible to reach, as the needle will never get into that area whatever you do... Why this boat is llike this is hard to understand. But the performance report tells that it was build like this.

We topped up the rear tanks and the forward tanks were already empty.

On the water, the boat glides slowly on plane at 2350 rpm with the drives at the bottom and the plaps almost fully down (5,5). But it takes some time. It is also possible to get it faster up with higher revs, but to make it get on plane, it is neccesary to pull the throttle sslowly backwards to let the props gain grip. At the top speed, trim angle 6 is what gave best speed. It barely touched 100 mph. on a Northstar GPS but nothing more.... And we ran both directions in the same water get a precise reading. Over 5,5 in trim, the port prop seemed to loose its grip and the engines over rev. These boats will of course be taken by side wind and that the driver must correct with a little steering angle to one side to get the boat to go straight foreward is normal. But that seem to let one prop get more water than the other (because of the V-bottom). I think that is why the prop looses its grip. It is very frustrating, as the stern feels like it want to "prop ride" like a single enginge outboard ith a high engine can do. One thing that I got to think of would be to increase the diametre of the prop so that it would have more water to work in. Is this a good solution to the problem?

The engines have been tuned with the whipple stage III kit. This boat should fly!! At 110 mph. The kit was added after the boat left the US. I suspect the fuel required to run this kit would be 93 minimum. Here, there are almost no marinas who have more than 91 octane (95 unleaded as we call it here due to the RON/MON case which is different in USA versus Europa). Any input on that would be great. Shouldn't a 700 SCI run on 93 in the first case?? The port engine had some problems as it felt like it was "back firing" maybe 5 times during the half houre test run. It lost its power in a half second. But only at full throttle.

I would love to get some info and impressions from others with the same boat/engine package. Larger props for better handling and maybe remove the Whipple kit is what I now want to do. But is this right or wrong...?

The port engine has also lower water pressure. 1 bar opposed to 2 on the starboard engine....

Thank you for the input.
Did you get RPM readings at wide open throttle?

The misfiring you are hearing may be the knock sensors kicking in do to bad or low octane fuel, this will retard the timing and cause a loss in top end power.

The whipple upgradfe is very common, and is a proven set up. Unless you have a fuel quality or fuel flow issue I doubt removing the the upgrade is going to help you. BTW, just removing it is not an easy task.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1263
Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to consider is the European version of the 700 NXT is the 662 NXT:

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/eu662sci.php

As I recall, because of fuel differences in Europe, they tuned the 700 engine differently such that it makes slightly less horsepower at 662. There could of course be prop issues if they have not been checked, possibly lower pitch to compensate for the expected lower horsepower...

I would call Merc Racing and see if they have ECU's for your motors designed to work with the fuel octane you have. They might actually be the 662 ECU's. As for water pressure, my 42 with 525's has had different water pressures slightly lower on port engine since new.

I have only been able to reach the certificate speed of 87 mph on my boat duplicating their test conditions which was at nearly empty gas, one person, and 40 degrees F (4.4C)!! I froze my ass off. On a normal day I get 82-3.

And one last thing, I know your boat having met the owner when we both found shelter at an unknown marina during a bad storm on Lake Travis. It was one of the first 700's boats on Lake Travis and very fast. He told me he easily got 105 mph any time he wanted. When we met the boat was one month old. He had ordered it new from the factory through S. Austin Marine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.