Stuck valve - cause ???

Notices

Stuck valve - cause ???

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_t
When I saw "stuck valve" and 525 EFI in the same sentence, that is the first thing that came to mind ... leaking headers. I know of a couple of new long blocks that were the result of leaking headers. The new design header is not that much better. The specific one's that I know had stuck valve => leaking header had the new style headers. One person actually had the engine back together when someone recommended he get the headers checked ... good thing he did that or he would have most likely trashed a brand new Merc warrantied long block! This was back in 2006 when all of this header awareness was beginning to really gain steam (pun intended).
Oh yes. After a day of researching this, I'm convinced that I have fallen victim to the 525 header problem. I am going to replace the headers on both engines now... Any opinions on what I should use? I'm thinking either Stellings or Hardin Marine Typhoon 525 headers... thoughts anyone??
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it a staggered boat? Happen to be the starboard side? Captains call? My buddy has an 08 525 boat and for the 3rd (yes third) time in 300 hours it reverted bad enough to rust the valve stems on the rear two exhaust valves. This boat has new headers on it (within 10 hours) and did it this time recently again. Mercury put a motor in under warranty when the boat was new and said the cause of the failure was a combination of a rigging issue from Fountain and the fact that the silent choice mixed water too close to the collector. This time around the silent choice came off... so fingers crossed. Reason I posted is that the failure happened exactly the way you stated. We ran the boat one week flawlessly, next week we started it for a poker run and it was missing and carrying on the second it rolled over.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
Is it a staggered boat? Happen to be the starboard side? Captains call? My buddy has an 08 525 boat and for the 3rd (yes third) time in 300 hours it reverted bad enough to rust the valve stems on the rear two exhaust valves. This boat has new headers on it (within 10 hours) and did it this time recently again. Mercury put a motor in under warranty when the boat was new and said the cause of the failure was a combination of a rigging issue from Fountain and the fact that the silent choice mixed water too close to the collector. This time around the silent choice came off... so fingers crossed. Reason I posted is that the failure happened exactly the way you stated. We ran the boat one week flawlessly, next week we started it for a poker run and it was missing and carrying on the second it rolled over.
Yes, it is a semi-staggered boat, but its the port engine and I do have silent choice. When you say your friends boat had the same issue again with new headers, was it the CMI mercury spec header or did he replace with something else? I'm going to change the headers; I'd hate to think thats not going to solve this problem..
Old 07-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I would have them tested just to make sure that was the cause..
Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the tails also. Tails have been known to burn through near their highest point where water can't maintain level.