Fever 27 500EFI Input

Notices

Fever 27 500EFI Input

Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fever 27 500EFI Input

Hello,

I am fairly new to this forum. I am looking for some input, I am in the process of purchasing a fever 27 with the 500EFI motor in it. It currently has about 400 hours on it. I am curious to what kind of maintenance it will require with this many hours on it. I do not know any history on the boat or have access to any previous service records on it so i do not know what has been done to it so far. Overall it is in good condition however you can definitely see some wear and the engine and compartment are not very clean. Also it has been used in salt water. I am going to have a compression check done along with a leak down test. Until i get the results from that i am just looking for some general input for what i should have done to this motor considering the hours and salt water use. Also what are some common issues with this motor? Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the 500EFI, you need to be looking at valve springs around 250 hours. If this boat hasn't had them replaced, you should do it. It's insurance. One of those springs pops and you drop a valve, you could seriously damage the motor. Other than that, the 500 EFI is a pretty solid motor. If I'm not mistaken, the 500EFI is also sea water cooled, so if it's been in salt, you're going to want to try to inspect the cooling components and if the boat doesn't already have a fresh water flush, you should put one on first thing.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Registered

Okay thank you for your input. While i am in there to do the valve springs is there anything else that should be done at the same time? The main thing that concerns me is just that there are so many hours on it and i do not know any service history on it. To have the valve springs done and whatever else is recommended while it is apart, roughly how much would i be looking at to have a shop do that?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Certain years with CMI headers are known to have issues. Do a quick search in the forum to learn more.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 AM
Registered

if you have a mechanic do the work, figure on $1500 or more to remove heads, valve job, new springs, assorted gaskets, and reinstall. Salt water boat will also build up around the water intake through the transom assembly unless fresh water pickup is used. This build up will eventually restrict water flow causing cooling issues. The drive coupler could also have some wear at 400hrs.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

I hope someone didn't bottom paint that boat like some idiot did mine! What a nightmare
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbooten
Certain years with CMI headers are known to have issues. Do a quick search in the forum to learn more.
The CMI header issues were with 525EFI / 600SCi / 700 SCi headers. The 500's were fine.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

My bad.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

The salt could be a issue if not flushed properly. As for the hours, I can tell you we ran mine on the dyno (361 and 370 hours) and they were with 1 hp of each other. Solid and as said the headers don't have a issue.

I did the top ends about 40 hours ago. At that point we also put new valve seats in.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the input guys. No the boat does not have any bottom paint on it, thankfully. I will plan on having the top end done on it just because i do not know if anything has ever been done so i would rather play it safe and just get it done. So overall besides having to have the top end done this motor should be good to go. I am glad it is not known to have any major concerns with it. I will learn more about it if/when i actually get it home. I really appreciate all the advice and input to help me learn a little more about this exact engine before finalizing the purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.