Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time >

Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time

Notices

Fountain 38 lightening 525s engine rebuild time

Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
No, mine has a queer 80's fade in the back, and his has a more modern transition line. The funny thing is I saw a pic of his boat last year and was considering changing mine to that before I realized how close he is to me
Too funny...I just read this now! You enter any poker Runs?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Big block bottom ends take a very long time to just wear out. Most time bottoms ends are gonna into is through catastrophic failure. Dropping a valve, water ingestion or something along those lines.

I have a friend with a 90 42 Oneanddone on here. Over 600 hrs on stock bottom ends. 454 with blowers. They are basically 525sc clones. Just got new cams and valve trains from Madera. Boat runs like a champ and still has great numbers. Unless you have a low compression check I'd personally roll with bottom ends but stay up on top ends and headers to avoid catastrophic failure.
I agree that before I toss 20K to 30K in any direction, I'll be more that sure it needs to be done. Additionally, the DDT test should reveal if I need to get ready to drop the cash this year or next....like 4Bus said, exaggerating to make a point but what if I had 200 hrs of idle? Clearly there would be no need unless the other 200 hours are all WOT lol

I'm meeting with my mechanic this week or early next week and will verify compression and a few other tests to give me an idea for what to expect and will keep you all posted.

Have a super night
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
Have your engines ever had any top end work? Your mechanic advises total top and botton rebuild at 500 hrs? Just curious. I have 330 hrs on my 525s with no problems running great and probably will have just springs changed this fall if comp check is good.
To be honest, I have no clue. I bought it last year with 280 and put close to 120 hrs on them over the summer. As mentioned in a previous sting, saw the boat on a beach on a Sat, bought it on Mon and it was in my driveway Tuesday......I new very little about boats this size but had no intention losing out on this purchase. I thought the boat was a new boat when I saw it and when I found out it was a 2004 I freaked. The guy I bought it from was a real gentleman with nothing to hide and offered anything I wanted but seriously I was just in awe and did whatever I had to do to get it home and fast lol.......I will ask my mechanic if any work was done on the top ends since he was the guy that serviced the boat for the previous owner. I would love to hear a yes but ya never know. I do know that this thing runs like a dream and at WOT, both engines are exactly at 5200 RPM,,,,,,a very good sign that everything is still hanging on well.

I'll be asking my mechanic many questions based on all the great feedback I've received and post the answers to keep you all in the loop.

Cheers all
Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing would be to change oil run 10-20 Hrs and take oil samples and have them analyzed to see how much and what kind of metal you find.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Meshikinquah
Another thing would be to change oil run 10-20 Hrs and take oil samples and have them analyzed to see how much and what kind of metal you find.
Good point! Noted......Thank you!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryama1124
Too funny...I just read this now! You enter any poker Runs?
I do the buffalo poker run, and I host a fall run on Oneida lake ny.

We also go to abay for the thunder run in June, but we do not participate, just there to party.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryama1124
To be honest, I have no clue. I bought it last year with 280 and put close to 120 hrs on them over the summer. As mentioned in a previous sting, saw the boat on a beach on a Sat, bought it on Mon and it was in my driveway Tuesday......I new very little about boats this size but had no intention losing out on this purchase. I thought the boat was a new boat when I saw it and when I found out it was a 2004 I freaked. The guy I bought it from was a real gentleman with nothing to hide and offered anything I wanted but seriously I was just in awe and did whatever I had to do to get it home and fast lol.......I will ask my mechanic if any work was done on the top ends since he was the guy that serviced the boat for the previous owner. I would love to hear a yes but ya never know. I do know that this thing runs like a dream and at WOT, both engines are exactly at 5200 RPM,,,,,,a very good sign that everything is still hanging on well.

I'll be asking my mechanic many questions based on all the great feedback I've received and post the answers to keep you all in the loop.

Cheers all
Thanks Barry glad to have you on here. I take VERY good care of my 525 Fountain and if it ever sees saltwater I take it to a lake that afternoon or next day to run it out in a lake! Plus dunk the trailer real good which is really the only effective way to rinse the brakes. With that method I have no saltwater signs on either the boat or the trailer and the brakes are original. We have a lake house so it helps! Be sure to change the oil every 20-25 hrs or seasonally which ever comes first. I have always used Merc 25W-40.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sound like its time to refresh your motors. But I would take it to Ron Potter at Potter performance. Let him do a compression and bleed down test. he can tell you pretty quick. He also wont tell you something just to talk you into spending money if its not necessary for you. But if it is necessary. He is the best builder out there. Maybe a little more expensive then some but you get what you pay for. Check out my thread on this forum. Its titled 500 EFIs built by Potter Performance. My motors are about to go back in the boat now and its been nothing but a great experience from the start. Also a total quality build all the way threw. My old motors, the tare down and the whole build are on that thread. Look at it and let me know what you think. If you have any more question ask away or PM me and I'll help you as much as possible.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
Thanks Barry glad to have you on here. I take VERY good care of my 525 Fountain and if it ever sees saltwater I take it to a lake that afternoon or next day to run it out in a lake! Plus dunk the trailer real good which is really the only effective way to rinse the brakes. With that method I have no saltwater signs on either the boat or the trailer and the brakes are original. We have a lake house so it helps! Be sure to change the oil every 20-25 hrs or seasonally which ever comes first. I have always used Merc 25W-40.
Well thank you, it's a real pleasure meeting so many peope willng to give a hand and or so much great advice! Its funny, these things burn so much oil and according to Merc, its normal so you have to ask yourself the question.....why would one need to ever change the oil lol.....he answer is obvoius but man these 525's love oil.

Question, what engine coolant do you use? I use the orangs one I think its by Merc but not the diuted product, its the heavy or dark orange one....just curious, never asked that before.

As for salt water runs, My boat has never seen salt and since none of that exists near me, I'm safe however if I ever pull it to salt water, rest assured, boat and trailer would get a serious rince. Nothing worse than salt water and trailer brakes....i've read many expesive mistakes about that one!

I believe 25W 40 it the viscosity I use...have to doube check but it sounds right.

We shall chat soon buddy ave a super weekend!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lucky1456
It sound like its time to refresh your motors. But I would take it to Ron Potter at Potter performance. Let him do a compression and bleed down test. he can tell you pretty quick. He also wont tell you something just to talk you into spending money if its not necessary for you. But if it is necessary. He is the best builder out there. Maybe a little more expensive then some but you get what you pay for. Check out my thread on this forum. Its titled 500 EFIs built by Potter Performance. My motors are about to go back in the boat now and its been nothing but a great experience from the start. Also a total quality build all the way threw. My old motors, the tare down and the whole build are on that thread. Look at it and let me know what you think. If you have any more question ask away or PM me and I'll help you as much as possible.
Hey Lucky thank you for chiming in. I have a really great very well known and super honest mechanic here in Quebec, one of the only shops certified for Merc racing. Everybody knows this guy and his crew and have nothing but super positive things to say about him. He has a massive shop, a hanger to store all boats that remain in his possession over night, only works on racing boas......very impressive. They even have a full upholstery shop that honestly shames factory quality. I have to pick up my boat next week and will ask him many questions to see what he's done and get his opinion on what needs to be done. He's got plenty of cash and does this for he love of the sport. He has a 2007 47 Fountain and an MTI that would make any boating enthusiast melt......besides......Florida i a drive from Montreal lol

How can I find the tread you mention wit respect to you builds?

Have a super evening and hope to run into to some of you guys in the future at some of the poker runs!

Cheers
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.