2008 38' lightnings..

Notices

2008 38' lightnings..

Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 AM
clean sweep
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 38' lightnings..

I sold my 35' Lighting several years ago and am now looking to get back into performance boats. Have been looking for 06 35' Lightning (525 power) but seems low hour, fresh water boats are hard to come by. Some 06 38 Lightnings for sale (semi-staggered) and also several, low hour 2008 models (full staggered). Only interested in 525 power but have read where the 2008 models are hard to come up on plane, throw blades and can be a handful to drive. Am looking for a boat that is easy to plane with full fuel and passengers and cruses around 55. Not looking for absolute top speed...
Looking for any advice or experiences with the 08 38' Fountains... Thanks....
Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clean sweep
I sold my 35' Lighting several years ago and am now looking to get back into performance boats. Have been looking for 06 35' Lightning (525 power) but seems low hour, fresh water boats are hard to come by. Some 06 38 Lightnings for sale (semi-staggered) and also several, low hour 2008 models (full staggered). Only interested in 525 power but have read where the 2008 models are hard to come up on plane, throw blades and can be a handful to drive. Am looking for a boat that is easy to plane with full fuel and passengers and cruses around 55. Not looking for absolute top speed...
Looking for any advice or experiences with the 08 38' Fountains... Thanks....
The closer the drives, the higher the X. The full stag are as close as you can get, hard to get on plane, can throw blades on weaker props, but will run high 90's on just 525s. I don't think handling is an issue, most over trim then complain. It is easy to over trim a boat with an x that high and twin steps.

I do not know of any 2008 plus models with the new interior that were not full stag. However, you could convert the lowers to standard length, sell the sport master -2 (with ease) and run a handling prop, 5 blade 15 7/8 diameter. It will tone it down and get it on plane easier. It will never plane like a side by side, never, but you can improve it however it will cost you top speed
Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty easy to put some spacers in to make it plane easy. About an inch will do maybe 2' but I doubt it. But the blade throwing will depend on getting it to plane easy. If you need to turn 5 grand to get it on plane, that will work the props big time. If you can plane it at 3 grand the props will hold up great. You are gonna have to service bravo xr drives regularly if you get the 525's