Need trailer for 38 fountain express cruiser >

Need trailer for 38 fountain express cruiser

Notices

Need trailer for 38 fountain express cruiser

Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need trailer for 38 fountain express cruiser

I am looking for a trailer for a 38 fountain express cruiser either used or new. I just need something that will carry the boat well and load easily at the ramp, not necessary a "show trailer" like a myco. If anyone happens to have one, or could point me in the direction of a good value new trailer it would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Ok, I have received some quotes from a few companies and am trying to decide between the following:

1). Eagle trailers speced a steel trailer with 15000# capacity, torsion axels led lights and aluminum rims for $11,400
2). Manning speced a steel trailer with 18000# capacity, leaf springs, Led lights, and aluminum rims for $10,800.

Which would you choose?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Wow those are not bad prices, a few years ago Myco wanted almost 11K for a aluminum for my little 32!.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Manning all the way. 15,000 lbs is NOT enough for that setup; I don't care what the brochures say.

Also, I would look into supplying your own wheels and DEFINITELY have E-load rated 16" LT (light truck) tires.

There is a reason why leaf spring suspensions have been around for over 200 years or so. They work.
There might be newer technology (torsion), but nothing wrong with the old stuff either.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have had 2 Manning trailers, one under a 40 Outlaw & the one I have now under 47 Fountain. No problems with either trailer & both pulled great. I have torsion axles because that is what he set me up with.

Did you buy a new boat?
I am looking to get into a 38 Express cruiser in the next year or when ever I can sell my 47'
Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The ONLY thing I don't like about Manning trailers, is that Ron likes to make the V-block out of carpeted wood.

I much rather have the grey rubber blocks like Myco and Loadmaster use. They are less damaging to the boat over time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527401[/ATTACH]

I shoot them with a little bit of aerosol spray wax right before loading the boat. That lubes them perfectly, and the boat slides right in. Any residual mark just wipes right off since it's just wax/rubber.
Attached Thumbnails Need trailer for 38 fountain express cruiser-performance.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, 15 is not nearly enough. Also, I trailer a lot in Florida and the goodyear 235 85 LT wrangler truck tires delaminate after 500 to 1,000 miles. I ended up with what I hope are good Chinese G rated 110 psi all steel trailer tires. The goodyears are steel tread and fiber side wall reinforced, just not strong enough for this boat. Also, I would recommend going with electric over hydraulic disc brakes on all axles. Pulling one of these is easy, stopping is a whole other issue. Before you pull the trigger, give Ameratrail a try in St. Cloud Florida (407) 891-0452, ask for Scott. He ships nationwide and has built multiple 38 EC trailers. Mine is a all aluminum "C" channel trailer, torsion axles, aluminum wheels, eoh disc brakes, etc. Even though you may not use in salt water, the aluminum trailer will weigh a lot less than steel and would lower the stress on your tow vehicle. He also uses the grey rubber blocks and can add tool boxes, additional spares, etc. My trailer is torsion axle, but either torsion or spring is good. You can probably get a better load rating with the springs, I would go over 20K if you can, these boats are heavy when you include fuel, water and equipment. He builds a Myco style trailer for a lot less than Myco. Good Luck.