Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Forward cabin water >

Forward cabin water

Notices

Forward cabin water

Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 42 Ex had water in the front compartment when I bought it. I found two leaks:

One was the anchor locker when the Danforth anchor came loose and punched several holes. Fixed by re glassing and installing a secure anchor mounting system. Second was the bow rail on both sides where the previous owner had frequently tied up the boat (dumbass). Used sealing rubber washers, 5200, and new hardware with large fender washers under the nuts to hold more sealant and has been fully watertight ever since.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that my main cabin sink drains out of the port side through hull fitting. The cooler does not. I believe it empties into the bilge I will probably put a tee in and change that this winter. I have not used the bathroom sink and do not know where that drains too. I will look under the lights to see if there is any residue or water stains and let ya'll know.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 682gold
I found that my main cabin sink drains out of the port side through hull fitting. The cooler does not. I believe it empties into the bilge I will probably put a tee in and change that this winter. I have not used the bathroom sink and do not know where that drains too. I will look under the lights to see if there is any residue or water stains and let ya'll know.
on my 29 the sink goes out and the cooler goes into the bilge. Another design flaw if you ask me. Without introducing an obsessive amount of drain holes, I would think direct routing as much water to the outside vs the bilge is a wise idea. But then again fountain designed hell of a performance boat for the common man, than as an after thought designed lthe creature comforts.

Last edited by soldier4402; 08-26-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

My cooler used to T into the sink, issue is at rest in the water the sink then drains into the cooler,,,,, at least on a a$$ down 32.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

im having the same mysterious water problem...I had all of my bow rails removed and sealed..along with a brand new rubrail...my bathroom sink drains out the starboard side and the main sink drains out the port side of the boat. I removed the a/c and made sure the ball valve was closed...and I don't have a anchor locker
Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do these boats not drain back to the bilge? Sounds crazy for water to just sit up there. Even with a Bilge pump there will still be some water that runs back down the hose.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get some too when I don't put the full cover on. I think its the bow cleat as its a little loose, how do I get that mirror out to get to it. Stays dry with the full cover so it has to be the cleat or the rubrail.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Registered

I had the same water under the step issue on my 2000 42 Lightning. It got there when I got caught in the rain or I washed the cockpit floor. It would travel down the cockpit floor drains into the gas tanks area, then forward along the sides until it reached the cabin, then thru the carpet to the step. Mine has one hole thru the firewall ABOVE the tops of the gas tanks. I guess water below that hole just sits there or goes forward. Great.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
Why do these boats not drain back to the bilge? Sounds crazy for water to just sit up there. Even with a Bilge pump there will still be some water that runs back down the hose.
Not possible in my hull with two giant steps between the front and back bilge.

A one way valve on the front bilge pump keeps the water from draining back
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billeickmann
I had the same water under the step issue on my 2000 42 Lightning. It got there when I got caught in the rain or I washed the cockpit floor. It would travel down the cockpit floor drains into the gas tanks area, then forward along the sides until it reached the cabin, then thru the carpet to the step. Mine has one hole thru the firewall ABOVE the tops of the gas tanks. I guess water below that hole just sits there or goes forward. Great.
Same here, but like I posted above it it made to drain forward because it can't drain back over the steps in your hull. My drains in the bilge are plumbed to the cockpit floor drains only, anything forwar of that is forced to the front

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.