2000 38 Lightning rear platform grab bar >

2000 38 Lightning rear platform grab bar

Notices

2000 38 Lightning rear platform grab bar

Old 10-21-2014, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 38 Lightning rear platform grab bar

Ok guys couldn't figure this out. Both engines are out so I'm taking advantage of cleaning and other maintenance. My rear grab handle is a little loose so I figured I would tighten the nut on inside. Cannot find nut and unless it is fiber glassed over I'm not sure there is one. How can I tighten the grab rail?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not familiar with the grab handle, but I can tell you that the ladder bolts on my 35' have nuts on the bottom side (inside the swim platform). I attempted to remove the bolts to reseal the area - but as one bolt started to loosen, I could tell the nut was spinning on the inside of the swim platform. I called Fountain, and they said the nut was not glassed in and was not a t-nut. So it is a one time install and is not serviceable. WTF !?!?

Anyway, my advice is to call Fountain to confirm the fastening structure for the handle.

Fortunately, I was able to wedge a flatblade screwdriver between the ladder base and platform to apply upward force to the nut, which allowed it to tighten. SO GLAD that I didn't go further with trying to remove the bolts!!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty sure it is glassed in, but call Fountain to be sure.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

There is a piece of wood glassed from the top of the transom to the top of the deck. If you roughly figure about where the bolts are you can take a hole saw and cut through it. I did this on my 35 to remove the handle for paint. As far as the swim ladder you can take the blower vents out and someone with skinny arms can reach the nuts with a long wrench.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Registered

It's not a 38. But I removed all of my handles and rails on the 29 to get them powder coated and the rear handles where not fiberglassed. But they were coated in some type of brittle sealer. I lightly tapped a 9/16 socket on the nut and it slowly cracked away to the point where the socket went right on. Than sealed them back up later.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C.I.M.
There is a piece of wood glassed from the top of the transom to the top of the deck. If you roughly figure about where the bolts are you can take a hole saw and cut through it. I did this on my 35 to remove the handle for paint. As far as the swim ladder you can take the blower vents out and someone with skinny arms can reach the nuts with a long wrench.
Yup this is correct. Almost a filler piece. Gonna take a hole saw and cut for an access port. You can access the ladder and grab rail. Thanks.