Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Fountain 48 dash redo >

Fountain 48 dash redo

Notices

Fountain 48 dash redo

Old 10-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Artie - thanks for the note - The center engine actually dropped a valve back in 2008, and Yanmar replace the entire engine, and performed valve jobs on the remaining two. All under warranty, thankfully. At that time they pulled the starboard engine to get to the center engine, but because it was a replacement versus repair I'm wondering if the methodology for access was different. The lead mechanic at Fountain, recommended to me today that I have the port engine pulled to do the work, but given the discrepancy I figured I'd see if anyone else had any feedback/input/experience. Today the new 48's come with an access hatch to get to the center engine, but I'm not sure what other structural reinforcements they've made, so I'm hesitant to take a saw to it!

As a sidenote, according to Mack Boring who is one who did the vast majority of the rebuilds for Yanmar, it was only a short run of the 440's that were affected, and generally if the motor made it past 200hrs you were in the clear. Yanmar/Mack Boring will run the serials for you if you have any questions/concerns.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear. I bought mine with fresh power from Mack Boring and yes they are miserable to work on center or port engine. I have a belt that constantly comes off the stb engine and have not been able to diagnose. I am thinking I have an alternator issue that may be causing it.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 48EC
Artie - thanks for the note - The center engine actually dropped a valve back in 2008, and Yanmar replace the entire engine, and performed valve jobs on the remaining two. All under warranty, thankfully. At that time they pulled the starboard engine to get to the center engine, but because it was a replacement versus repair I'm wondering if the methodology for access was different. The lead mechanic at Fountain, recommended to me today that I have the port engine pulled to do the work, but given the discrepancy I figured I'd see if anyone else had any feedback/input/experience. Today the new 48's come with an access hatch to get to the center engine, but I'm not sure what other structural reinforcements they've made, so I'm hesitant to take a saw to it!

As a sidenote, according to Mack Boring who is one who did the vast majority of the rebuilds for Yanmar, it was only a short run of the 440's that were affected, and generally if the motor made it past 200hrs you were in the clear. Yanmar/Mack Boring will run the serials for you if you have any questions/concerns.

Thanks,
Joe
Thanks for the info, Joe. It's good to know it's only a specific serial range, and by the sounds of it most of the affected engines should be beyond the failure zone or they have been repaired. Love my 47, but a 48EC will probably be our next boat.

Good luck with the repairs!
Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
Getting closer!
Amazing job, Ive always thought fountains had the ugliest dashes. Just an fyi, consider wrapping or plasti dipping the garmin covers, I did mine in a carbon fibre wrap and put the logo on it again and they look great
Old 11-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fountain 48 Dash redo Questions

Hello Dirty,
I am in the process of purchasing a fountain 48. What product did you use to convert the Analog gauges to NMEA2000? Seems the only thing still on the market is Actisense.
Also, Do you still have the dash mold? how do you like it after separating throttle and shifter controls with throttles on left?

By the way, I tried to PM you but your box is full.

Hook'em
The following users liked this post:
Faster Daddy (10-08-2021)
Old 01-14-2022, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Dirty, clear your inbox if you’re still on here. Especially if you still own the 48 you redid the dash on. Thank you, Larry. Or call/txt me 83zero-45nine-fifteen30
Old 01-14-2022, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Inbox cleared.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not according to OSO, it still won’t let me msg you. My number is above if you’d like to call me. Your boat is sitting there with water standing in the cabin and I’m just tying to help.