Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   Depth Finder (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/327896-depth-finder.html)

T_traylor1 06-29-2015 12:34 PM

Depth Finder

I've got a 99 fever with what i believe to be a original livorsi depth finder and shoot thru transducer that doesn't ever work. Originally it wasn't glued down, per livorsi instructions we placed it in a bucket of water and it did read on the gauge, so it was reinstalled with a 2 part epoxy under the step going to the cabin but never gives a reading the gauge is always blank. Any suggestions?

proscapes199 07-24-2015 05:46 AM

I had the same issue with my 03 27 after trial and error here is what I did and it worked. remover the transducer from its original location prior to the step cleaned and sanded hull, built and a fixture with plastic and butyl so that the transducer will set level, filled that fixture with the two part epoxy without the transducer ensuring that the epoxy would not leak around that fixture and there was no bubbles, waited for that to dry then installed the transducer with two part epoxy making sure that the transducer was partially encapsulated with the epoxy. it work perfect now even at speed. believe me I tried lots of methods called livorsi spoke to the transducer manufacture and finally got it to work. good luck

janniboy 07-25-2015 06:15 AM

Can you post a pic??

greg800le 07-25-2015 07:13 AM

I'm having a similar problem. 2005 35 Lightning w Livorsi Depth finder, apparent inconsistent shallow water reading. When coming into a sand bar to beach, the gauge read 6', then 8.5'. Bottom looked too close so I got out and found only 5' of depth. Is this a common problem with Fountain transducer installs?

proscapes199 08-04-2015 05:26 AM

sorry havent been to the lake lately to take pics but i will send one

Padraig 08-04-2015 08:24 AM

Is the hull cored where you installed the transducer? If so that is the problem.

Padraig

Feverz29 08-04-2015 03:37 PM

Padraig I believe they are. This year mine was not reading accurately. The transducer came loose and had it sealed back in place. It reads almost spot on now.

Padraig 08-04-2015 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Feverz29 (Post 4338362)
Padraig I believe they are. This year mine was not reading accurately. The transducer came loose and had it sealed back in place. It reads almost spot on now.

I am guessing it is not cored or at least in that location. Usually it will not read for sh*t through the coring. If it is cored, a hole is cut (hole saw) through the inner fiberglass and coring. The plug of coring and glass is removed, the sides of the coring and bottom is liberally coated with epoxy and the transducer glued to the bottom. I had to do this to my 1998 Velocity and I seem to remember that older Fountains were also cored. Maybe the area under the step is not cored????

Padraig

Diamond Dave 08-04-2015 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4338378)
I am guessing it is not cored or at least in that location. Usually it will not read for sh*t through the coring. If it is cored, a hole is cut (hole saw) through the inner fiberglass and coring. The plug of coring and glass is removed, the sides of the coring and bottom is liberally coated with epoxy and the transducer glued to the bottom. I had to do this to my 1998 Velocity and I seem to remember that older Fountains were also cored. Maybe the area under the step is not cored????

Padraig

This must be the reason my new depth gauge does not register (95 Fever). I glued it right next to the old one but no bueno. Has anyone had any luck "chiseling" out the old ones in this situation leaving the existing little tube they filled in intact and replacing them?

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6evjcr1g.jpg

Feverz29 08-04-2015 07:49 PM

Padraig I misinterpreted what he meant by cored. I was thinking of the hull construction, wood and fiberglass vs composite. Mine is through the hull right behind my step in the hull. Where my transducer sits, they left a small spot where they didn't glass over it.