Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Geeting on plane with a 33 Fountain Lightning >

Geeting on plane with a 33 Fountain Lightning

Notices

Geeting on plane with a 33 Fountain Lightning

Old 11-06-2015, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

These threads come up now and then and it seems like a lot of people of all brands don't use the tabs to help.

Why?

I always have on whatever boat, seems it is better to get up then have it plow forever. I did put trim and tab switch on my throttle, really helps smooth the transition out.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tabs are a must.. And your right , it drives me crazy when I'm with friends that don't use them .. I become a back seat driver at that point
Old 11-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
These threads come up now and then and it seems like a lot of people of all brands don't use the tabs to help.

Why?

I always have on whatever boat, seems it is better to get up then have it plow forever. I did put trim and tab switch on my throttle, really helps smooth the transition out.
It didn't make much difference on my scarab 31. It was a light boat with a poker run cuddly and Kevlar hull so that might have made a difference. Heck it would plane with the drives trimmed up.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. One thing I've noticed is the drives on the fountain are sitting a lot higher than the Sunsation. I do realize it is for better top end but as mentioned tabs will be a must for sure!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why?

I would say it depends.. Step boats need them more. My 33 outlaw comes up pretty flat at only about 2500 rpms. I normally only use tabs if in shallow water to keep my drives/props off the sandy bottom. Even loaded, I dont really have an issue getting out hole.

Beaks that I have been in, must use them, that step doesnt do much for planing....
Old 11-07-2015, 03:23 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Some boats get quickly up on plane without any tabs... so why would you bother?

Why?

Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Registered

33 straight bottom x looks to be higher than any other I?O i have owned but still no tabs just ease into it slowly and it will come on plane with no fuss at all if I am not tucked all the way in with the drives blows out every time
Old 11-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered

It all depends on the boat model. My Formula 353 doesn't need any tabs, just tuck the drives in and gradually roll on the throttle.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
I would say it depends.. Step boats need them more. My 33 outlaw comes up pretty flat at only about 2500 rpms. I normally only use tabs if in shallow water to keep my drives/props off the sandy bottom. Even loaded, I dont really have an issue getting out hole.

Beaks that I have been in, must use them, that step doesnt do much for planing....
I do remember seeing a video posted of a OL coming up (may have been yours), and it did look like it came up easy. Not sure it is step hulls, X dem would seem more of an issue.

Just for fun have you tried with tabs down and drives tucked to see what happens?
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I ran 35 TS 575sci Fountain a little. It was embarrassing if you didn't have patience. What I tried and found to work was using the tabs and turning the boat enough to lean one drive deaper. Probably looked funny but compared to multiple tries, I had it on plane faster than the owner.

He was about to space the drives or turn a different direction sacrificing speed.

Last edited by TxHawk; 11-07-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.