Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42 Lightning - Where is the CAN JBox for Smartcraft Located?? >

42 Lightning - Where is the CAN JBox for Smartcraft Located??

Notices

42 Lightning - Where is the CAN JBox for Smartcraft Located??

Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 42 Lightning - Where is the CAN JBox for Smartcraft Located??

I looked up under the helm/dash, but didn't see it. I'm working on a Garmin project, and would like to connect to the Vesselview by tapping in to the JBox. Has anyone done this on a 42? Where is the JBox located? Will I have to pull the dash to access it?

Thanks
TM
Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was right under the dash.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

On my 47, they are above the storage compartment in the STBD gunnel. Probably apples and oranges, but worth a look.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Registered

Thanks guys - I'll have to take another look this weekend. I looked as best I could (standing on my head) under the dash - but didn't see it. I did see 2 mercury racing boxes of some sort mounted underneath with (if my memory is correct) only one harness connection that went up. But due to the hydraulic steering lines, I couldn't see where they go. I assumed those two boxes were for gauges?? They were not the JBox, I do know that.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
Thanks guys - I'll have to take another look this weekend. I looked as best I could (standing on my head) under the dash - but didn't see it. I did see 2 mercury racing boxes of some sort mounted underneath with (if my memory is correct) only one harness connection that went up. But due to the hydraulic steering lines, I couldn't see where they go. I assumed those two boxes were for gauges?? They were not the JBox, I do know that.
Those two Merc boxes are most likely the Analog Gauge Interface (AGI) boxes. They connect the digital output of the engine to your analog gauges. They should look similar to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565818[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 42 Lightning - Where is the CAN JBox for Smartcraft Located??-agi.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Registered

Yes, thanks Neil - the two boxes I'm referencing look close to those. OK - now to find the JBoxes.
Originally Posted by HyFive578
Those two Merc boxes are most likely the Analog Gauge Interface (AGI) boxes. They connect the digital output of the engine to your analog gauges. They should look similar to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565818[/ATTACH]
Old 03-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be worth a call to Fountain, they might be able to tell you where they are. If you cannot locate them anywhere under the helm, I would take Artie's suggestion and look in the starboard gunwale. When I redid the dash on my 38, I found a lot of connections behind there. Worth a look.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Registered

It will be a few days before I'm back at the boat again. I'll take a better flashlight this time - but I'd hate to have to disassemble alot of stuff just to plug in 1 connector to the JBox. If that's the case, might ditch the whole idea.

I've got a Garmin 7607 that I'm hoping will fit (flushmount) above the glove box. It just arrived, so I've yet to really mock it up other than the paper template. I'd like to get engine data there too - just for the novelty of it.