Those who tow their 42

Notices

Those who tow their 42

Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Wow, this thread got entertaining.
This is likely 'cuz he spent the winter in Michigan... where we know how to drive in the snow on chit roads!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=tommymonza;4549196]Personally I don't get the it's too big to tow b.i.t.c.h I hear on here all the time.

What a bunch of phukin Sally's

I used to haul my 13000 on the trailer parasail boat daily that drafted almost 4 feet with a single inboard diesel driving a large wheel hanging 2 feet under it with a half ton van. Half ton pickups are no where close to what they used to be. I learned to drive the 'ol mans '68 F100 that had a 300 cu in straight 6 & 4-speed manual trans. Loaded it with corn, hay, fertilizer for the city folks gardens (that means cow chit) or whatever til the bumper was damn near dragging the ground & it never broke or failed. Crossed the scale at the local grain elevator with just over 2400# of chop once - couldn't do that with any half ton pick up today.

Hauled the thing back and forth on 400 mile round trips numerous times with nothing but surge brakes running 70 down I
Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

1973 our 26 Monza arrived at the door from Miami behind a 1956 Chevy 1/2 ton 3 on the tree. Delivery guy said he had no brakes since Tennessee. , just downshifted and let the trailer surge brakes kick in to stop.

When Men were Men

Now go back to your closet and try that other dress on Linda.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well boys and girls, this has turned into a nice chat. FYI I do have my class A and thought I was just asking a few of who do pull bigger boats your opinion, thx to those of you with constructive input. My main concern was dragging ass or high center the damn thing on a driveway or ramp, but did not see that anybody talked of it.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

Get your tongue weight correct along with setting up your ride height so it's level, don't overload the trailer, keep good tires on it and roll on
Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zx14
Well boys and girls, this has turned into a nice chat. FYI I do have my class A and thought I was just asking a few of who do pull bigger boats your opinion, thx to those of you with constructive input. My main concern was dragging ass or high center the damn thing on a driveway or ramp, but did not see that anybody talked of it.
Your dragging question is tough to answer. Tongue height does enter into the equation. With that said we have a ramp in our area that goes from flat to a very steep angle in an almost knife like fashion......not rounded over at all. Anything over about a 35' will hit. What happens is the tires go over ok, but about half way down it does drag. As the truck gets closer you gain height again and it's ok. We all use it because every other aspect of the ramp, dock, and parking is excellent. They are talking about rounding it over which will fix it. It's the only ramp I have ever had an issue with.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Install 4-link Adjustable Kelderman Air Ride....problem solved.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I did speak to that; see my earlier post.

I've never gotten STUCK at a ramp crest due to high centering, but I have dragged.
It all depends on each individual setup. Heck, it may vary on the same ramp if you are full of fuel in the morning and empty at night.

Do you have a lifted truck?
If so, do you wear flat-bill hats? Because dudes with lifted trucks that wear flat-bill hats usually have this ridiculous squat setup:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566807[/ATTACH]

IF, it looks like you are going to scrape and get hung up at a ramp; the best thing to be prepared with is an adjustable drawbar stored in the back of the truck. It will take a couple minutes, but swap out the drawbar to the adjustable one at it's highest setting.
(I don't recommend adjustable tow bars for towing these kind of loads, full time; and ESPECIALLY not with a surge brake system--too much stress on the components & too many failure points.)

I also run adjustable rear airbags on my trucks that I tow with. That should net you at least 1-2" when you fully inflate as well.
Attached Thumbnails Those who tow their 42-10963934_1606266742937148_681852425_n.jpg  
Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pull mine to several poker runs a year 6+ hours one way. My wife pulls it back usually because we also switch out drivers for the boat, and I end up not driving the boat Saturday which means I'm hung over on Sunday. Yes, I said my wife pulls it.
I sleep most of the way home so it isn't that bad. I do have a 3500 and a roadrunner trailer that works, but still....

Basically look in front of you and in your mirrors. If you think you are about to hit something, stop doing that
Old 05-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also keep my boat at a marina that has a very steep ramp. It was designed for launching airplanes. I drag there, but it is the only place. It is much easier to just use a different ramp.