another anchor post >

another anchor post

Notices

another anchor post

Old 05-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another anchor post

The "custom" anchor than comes with my 35 Lightning doesn't work well. I found the identical anchor, not customized, and it turns out the customization was limited to cutting a few inches off of the stock (the metal dowel) on both sides. That prevents the anchor from flipping on to the fluke, but allows the anchor to fit in the anchor locker. My experience is i need 80-100 feet of scope to anchor in 3-4 feet of water. Chain doesn't seem to help much. I recently got my Overtons catalog and there's a couple of nice looking anchors that look like they would hold much better. One is a digger anchor #79634 and another is a Chene anchor (33823) Anyone have experience with these and any idea if they would at least fit into my anchor locker? I guess I could just get a non customized fluke that wouldn't fit in the bracket. What are other people using....other than the custom fluke style anchor?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using a Fortress, fits under the back seat, port side with the small access door open. FX11 I believe, light and easy for my wife to handle, hooks real well. I took my factory anchor in the bow and polished it and put it back, wasnt used much by the PO.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I recently bought a Fortress FX-11. I've cut it down and redrilled the holes to match the factory mount in the anchor locker. Not sure if it will work any better, but it is certainly lighter. My wife handles anchoring and storing, so I'm trying to make her job easier. If this rain ever stops, I'll report back on my findings with pics.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 524 Posts

Buy a Box Anchor and keep it folded up under the back seat or in the cabin.
You will be surprised how well this anchor works.
No, it's not going to work with your anchor locker, BUT...
...you could keep 20' of line attached to the anchor, throw it from the cockpit, and then carry bitter end that has an eyelet on it, up to your bow and attach it to the rhode line you keep in your anchor locker for long term tie off.

You also won't need a rhode anything like you have needed in the past with the box anchor, AND it doesn't require a chain. The arm on the anchor does the work of a chain.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Registered

Box anchor. Absolutely none better. I have one for my 42 Fountain and it does not budge on any surface and always comes loose.

I have an extra one if you want it.

PM me and I'll get it to you.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Registered

Sorry to clarify above: it always comes loose when you WANT it to!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

For sand or mud bottom the Danforth anchor is the one. Box anchor ?????https://youtu.be/gBB6TFSZepI.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Box anchor/slide anchor. 2 to 1 scope. My Fortress FX 16 is for sale, by the way...
Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
For sand or mud bottom the Danforth anchor is the one. Box anchor ?????https://youtu.be/gBB6TFSZepI.
That video is garbage. He doesn't do the same comparison to each anchor, and when was the last time you saw the bottom of a waterway that was as hard a coastal packed sand/clay?

The ONLY time my Box Anchor would not catch at all since I started using one in 2001 was on the bottom of a tidal/brackish creek that was FILLED with a 2-3' (feet) thick layer of hydrilla (seaweed) that you couldn't even walk on because it was the consistency of a giant sponge. Of SIGNIFICANT note: NO ONE'S anchors of any size or design would grab that day. NONE.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Registered

Agreed. I have never had my box anchor not grab. And when you want to leave you get on top of it and it comes loose every time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.