Notices

Shifter

Old 05-24-2017, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shifter

Due to the increase in power and recommendation of both Hydromotive and Herring propellers I am changing my prop from right handed to left. My understanding that you can just change the cabling on my shifter control. Has anyone done this and if so can you explain it?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not physically do mine myself, but I did the same last year when I had engine rebuilt. You will like the outcome. The boat will ride totally true at cruise, rather than having to drag the port side tab to keep the boat level. Going to lefty will counter act the engine rotation. The marine shop that did my engine and drive did the work for me but I was told it was as simple as changing the cables on the shifter. Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your response looking for the results.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Look at the bottom of your shifter. The cable needs to swap sides. If it's on bottom it has to go on top or vice versa. Basically you switching the push/pull. If it's pushing the cable in forward now then it needs to pull in forward when swapped.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

BEFORE you go through the work of changing the shifter over (again, not a huge task), go run the boat with just using the shifter in the opposite direction. Your Bravo drive knows no difference b/t forward and reverse technically speaking.

Take a look under your dash at the shifter lower half. You will see one ear that has the cable attached, and one not used. Just swap the cable end over to the other one. You may need to move a few zip ties.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very simple to switch. I'm in Cleveland as well if you need any help let me know. I believe you're by little Vellas correct?