Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Pros and Cons of semi stagger vs full stagger 38 Lightnings? >

Pros and Cons of semi stagger vs full stagger 38 Lightnings?

Notices

Pros and Cons of semi stagger vs full stagger 38 Lightnings?

Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of semi stagger vs full stagger 38 Lightnings?

Hey guys,

Currently have a 97 29 Fever with a Tyler Crockett built HP500 with a custom M3-SC setup on it that I'm going to be putting for sale to go bigger. I'm mostly learning towards 38's I think. I've spent a lot of time staring at pics of semi staggered vs full staggered boats, and this weekend I was able to go and spend some time looking over a nice 06 that's for sale locally, but have yet to get to check out an 07+ in person as I'm not aware of any that are anywhere near Chicago right now for sale.

I really really really like the look of the updated cockpit of the 07, and also the added room in the engine bay on the full stagger, and the extra MPH of course doesn't suck, but am curious about real world opinions of the loss of size in the cockpit. The 06 I saw this weekend felt to me really really similar to my 29 as far as space and feel. Looking at 07+ pics, I'd guess that the space between the seats is easily half that of the semi staggered boats?

Looking for opinions on the cockpit as well as any other pros/cons out there about semi vs full staggered Lightnings. Appreciate any help in advance, thanks!

Sean
Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

Yes the cockpit on my 07 38 full staggered is tight , what are you looking to spend if I may ask mine might be for sale if in the ballpark .
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
Yes the cockpit on my 07 38 full staggered is tight , what are you looking to spend if I may ask mine might be for sale if in the ballpark .
Haven't picked a hard budget yet, would be more than happy to hear the details on your boat and what you're thinking of asking. Just getting started on this and really wish I could find a full stagger that's not far away to look at in person to compare to the 06 I looked at this weekend.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Registered

Pm me your phone # and I can text a few pic,s .
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I had a 38 Fever - probably the biggest cockpit that Fountain made in any sport boat sans the 47's. I loved the boat and the room but sold it to build out my ZRC sit down boat with zero walk around space. Performance matters - balance and speed. I don't regret it one bit. Hands down don't even think about it. Go for the better hull and performance of the 07 and newer 38's.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

We looked at both semi and full stagger 38s. At the end of the day we wanted the updated cockpit and since it's just the 2 of us usually, the backseat space did not come into play. I also wanted the most performance out of the boat so the decision was pretty cut and dry. Another thing that was considered is future resale, the full stagger boats are pulling good $ over the semi. The hot ticket is finding a 38 full stagger with rear bolster option. We didnt find one with rear bolsters but we ended up with an 07 new cockpit but old cabin and that is fine for us.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 09-11-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Registered

Default 38ft fountain

I might be selling my fountain you can give me a call 815-633-2769 and I can tell you about it

Currently have a 97 29 Fever with a Tyler Crockett built HP500 with a custom M3-SC setup on it that I'm going to be putting for sale to go bigger. I'm mostly learning towards 38's I think. I've spent a lot of time staring at pics of semi staggered vs full staggered boats, and this weekend I was able to go and spend some time looking over a nice 06 that's for sale locally, but have yet to get to check out an 07+ in person as I'm not aware of any that are anywhere near Chicago right now for sale.

I really really really like the look of the updated cockpit of the 07, and also the added room in the engine bay on the full stagger, and the extra MPH of course doesn't suck, but am curious about real world opinions of the loss of size in the cockpit. The 06 I saw this weekend felt to me really really similar to my 29 as far as space and feel. Looking at 07+ pics, I'd guess that the space between the seats is easily half that of the semi staggered boats?

Looking for opinions on the cockpit as well as any other pros/cons out there about semi vs full staggered Lightnings. Appreciate any help in advance, thanks!

Sean[/QUOTE]
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
Pm me your phone # and I can text a few pic,s .

will do now
Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kmeyer64
I might be selling my fountain you can give me a call 815-633-2769 and I can tell you about it

Sean
[/QUOTE]

year? motors? etc. little more info if you could