Silent choice??? >

Silent choice???

Notices

Silent choice???

Old 02-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Silent choice???

How often do you guys actually use your silent choice? I'm looking at a couple of 42 Lightnings to consider buying, one has silent choice and EFI's the other has superchargers no EFI and no silent choice. ( I have heard it doesn't work well with blowers anyway)
Also, on a side note of lesser importance vacuflush or portapotty?

Thanks all!

Shawn
Old 02-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Got rid of mine causes to many issues with reversion.

And here we dont have noise laws but you are not suppose to have anything that defeats a muffler. So in a way the silent choose would be illegal, and have to be used all the time. Not that I think they would ever inforce it.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

What phil said. Silent choice mixes the water too early and can revert especially on any performance motor like the 500s and 525s
Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Had silent choice on previous 525 efi boat, never had an issue but rarely used it because I was worried about reversion on long idle times. Current boat has 600SCIs and silent choice was removed by previous owner due to reversion in starboard engine that has short tails, boat is a full stagger set-up. Personally I would remove it to get full exhaust flow and not worry about reversion. If you have local noise restrictions, remove the silent choice system it's most likely an illegal system anyways and will not get you out of a ticket, then look into a set of tailpipe inserts made for high hp applications like these from GGB Marine https://marineexhaust.ggb.ca/. You can also look into turn downs.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

With the proper diverters silent choice does not increase the risk of reversion. I actually get some peace of mind knowing that while not running, any water that might get past the tip flapper will run down the Y pipe and cannot wash over the hump and into the engine. I only use mine at idle speeds.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
With the proper diverters silent choice does not increase the risk of reversion. I actually get some peace of mind knowing that while not running, any water that might get past the tip flapper will run down the Y pipe and cannot wash over the hump and into the engine. I only use mine at idle speeds.
merc would say different. Many manufacturers added it to the blue motors but it was not recommended by merc. Many people have had issues with it.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

...and this guy knows a thing or two about exhaust!

When is the VooDoo Performance Boat Exhaust coming out ?

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Had silent choice on previous 525 efi boat, never had an issue but rarely used it because I was worried about reversion on long idle times. Current boat has 600SCIs and silent choice was removed by previous owner due to reversion in starboard engine that has short tails, boat is a full stagger set-up. Personally I would remove it to get full exhaust flow and not worry about reversion. If you have local noise restrictions, remove the silent choice system it's most likely an illegal system anyways and will not get you out of a ticket, then look into a set of tailpipe inserts made for high hp applications like these from GGB Marine https://marineexhaust.ggb.ca/. You can also look into turn downs.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

vacuflush works and are rebuild-able (not fun but can be done cheaply) so no worries
Old 02-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions

merc would say different. Many manufacturers added it to the blue motors but it was not recommended by merc. Many people have had issues with it.
Wrong! Mercury 525 EFI service manual says "A boat with a Hi-Performance engine(s) that offers through the prop or through the transom options (i.e., Silent Choice), must not be operated above 2500 RPM without the exhaust going through the transom or severe engine damage may result." I use mine only at idle speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.