Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42 side by side and Staggard comparison. >

42 side by side and Staggard comparison.

Notices

42 side by side and Staggard comparison.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts
Default 42 side by side and Staggard comparison.

So who has rode in the same year 42, one a side by side and one stag?

I don't care about cockpit size, just talking same power how do they compare in handling and ride. On this side if you run the outside it will be rough, is there that big of a difference in the way they handle that type of seas?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Registered

No one?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I’ve ridden in both. They were the same year, 97’s or 98’s so they had the same bottom. The staggered boat has 525 sc’s and the side by side had 540’s turned up to about 600hp. The staggered boat runs the same speed even with smaller power. I think a side by side 42 rides pretty level compared to other boats. The staggered 42 is hard to get out of the water and rides very level. There is a difference but not as much as other brands. On my 38 top gun the nose would go to the sky in rough water but my 39 rides and fly’s level all the time. I’ve only been on both fountains a couple times so I have limited experience in different water conditions. The rooster tail could be the deciding factor, so I’d go staggered haha
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
I’ve ridden in both. They were the same year, 97’s or 98’s so they had the same bottom. The staggered boat has 525 sc’s and the side by side had 540’s turned up to about 600hp. The staggered boat runs the same speed even with smaller power. I think a side by side 42 rides pretty level compared to other boats. The staggered 42 is hard to get out of the water and rides very level. There is a difference but not as much as other brands. On my 38 top gun the nose would go to the sky in rough water but my 39 rides and fly’s level all the time. I’ve only been on both fountains a couple times so I have limited experience in different water conditions. The rooster tail could be the deciding factor, so I’d go staggered haha
Thanks good info, sounds like the staggered may be easier on the drives if it stays in the water! For me there really are two things I am concerned with, ease of working on the stag boat.

How the ride and fly in rough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, from what I am told I guess I run kind of fast in the rough stuff soooooo that is important.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 AM
Registered

TTT

Seeing if anyone else has experience. I just see some killer prices on mild power side by sides small step boats. Its nuts they are cheaper then a lot of the 35's on the market.

Not in the market for a 35 BTW,,,,,,,,, still not sure if I want to hassle with a 42. Most of my friends don't like to take their boats offshore with me in the 32?????
Old 06-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a platform built in front of the motors on mine. Side/side.W/ the water tank out on the side I can access everything super easily (plugs). W/ CMI's the inner plugs are not bad either.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
I have a platform built in front of the motors on mine. Side/side.W/ the water tank out on the side I can access everything super easily (plugs). W/ CMI's the inner plugs are not bad either.
You used to own a 32 also right? Ohio river boater?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:46 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
How about a picture of that platform ... sounds very interesting!