Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Should a 12 meter spin in or out? >

Should a 12 meter spin in or out?

Notices

Should a 12 meter spin in or out?

Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Should a 12 meter spin in or out?

Sorry to ask this question, i know its been asked a million times, but searching the forums its hard to find an answer to this question for my 12 meter straight bottom as most are for stepped hulls. I have #3's and currently spinning out. Everyone says "in to win" but just wanted some advice from people that have ran both ways with this hull as swapping drives is a pain. With the props spinning out i definitely get stern lift and the bow stays down. I assume with more bow lift i will get less drag in flatter water but curious if its worth it or not. Appreciate any advice!
Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wieland77 View Post
Sorry to ask this question, i know its been asked a million times, but searching the forums its hard to find an answer to this question for my 12 meter straight bottom as most are for stepped hulls. I have #3's and currently spinning out. Everyone says "in to win" but just wanted some advice from people that have ran both ways with this hull as swapping drives is a pain. With the props spinning out i definitely get stern lift and the bow stays down. I assume with more bow lift i will get less drag in flatter water but curious if its worth it or not. Appreciate any advice!
I have an old 12 meter with SSMV on the back. I started with out and the boat handled and backed great. I changed to in and the boat picked up 10 mph. It handled great but backing up is a pain. The drives are mounted high, bullet even with the bottom. I still have them spinning in and put up with the backing up, just have to compensate for the transom splash.
Charlie
Old 08-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Registered

Thanks Charlie, i know i have to see top end gains with spinning in but was on the fence. Will have to swap em and see what she does. Thanks for the info! MIKE
Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Definitely helps on the staggered boats to tilt the drives up a bit when docking, gets the wash more under the boat, maybe this technique will help when spinning in on your set-up.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Registered

My setup is not staggered
Old 08-01-2019, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 656 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooRob View Post
Definitely helps on the staggered boats to tilt the drives up a bit when docking, gets the wash more under the boat, maybe this technique will help when spinning in on your set-up.
That helps with my side by side as well. If you don't they pretty much will do nothing in reverse. Like you say when you tilt up the prop wash goes under the boat and for me doesn't really seem that bad then.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Registered

Smile

Gotcha, misunderstood the first time reading, sorry. Thanks for the info guys and will let you know how it performs after switching
Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 111 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
That helps with my side by side as well. If you don't they pretty much will do nothing in reverse. Like you say when you tilt up the prop wash goes under the boat and for me doesn't really seem that bad then.
Agreed, a little up from neutral does make a difference. Side by side here as well, high X and spin them in.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:41 AM
Registered

After switching them around I definitely gained some bow lift and probably 3-4 mph too. It was flat water and full on fuel so might be a touch more than that. Was worth the time of switching them for sure