Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Should a 12 meter spin in or out? >

Should a 12 meter spin in or out?

Notices

Should a 12 meter spin in or out?

Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
wieland77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 475
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Should a 12 meter spin in or out?

Sorry to ask this question, i know its been asked a million times, but searching the forums its hard to find an answer to this question for my 12 meter straight bottom as most are for stepped hulls. I have #3's and currently spinning out. Everyone says "in to win" but just wanted some advice from people that have ran both ways with this hull as swapping drives is a pain. With the props spinning out i definitely get stern lift and the bow stays down. I assume with more bow lift i will get less drag in flatter water but curious if its worth it or not. Appreciate any advice!
wieland77 is offline  
Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by wieland77 View Post
Sorry to ask this question, i know its been asked a million times, but searching the forums its hard to find an answer to this question for my 12 meter straight bottom as most are for stepped hulls. I have #3's and currently spinning out. Everyone says "in to win" but just wanted some advice from people that have ran both ways with this hull as swapping drives is a pain. With the props spinning out i definitely get stern lift and the bow stays down. I assume with more bow lift i will get less drag in flatter water but curious if its worth it or not. Appreciate any advice!
I have an old 12 meter with SSMV on the back. I started with out and the boat handled and backed great. I changed to in and the boat picked up 10 mph. It handled great but backing up is a pain. The drives are mounted high, bullet even with the bottom. I still have them spinning in and put up with the backing up, just have to compensate for the transom splash.
Charlie
whiplash22 is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:25 AM
  #3  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
wieland77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 475
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Thanks Charlie, i know i have to see top end gains with spinning in but was on the fence. Will have to swap em and see what she does. Thanks for the info! MIKE
wieland77 is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 AM
  #4  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
VoodooRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 1,988
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Definitely helps on the staggered boats to tilt the drives up a bit when docking, gets the wash more under the boat, maybe this technique will help when spinning in on your set-up.
VoodooRob is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:35 AM
  #5  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
wieland77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 475
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

My setup is not staggered
wieland77 is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:52 AM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 5,723
Received 656 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VoodooRob View Post
Definitely helps on the staggered boats to tilt the drives up a bit when docking, gets the wash more under the boat, maybe this technique will help when spinning in on your set-up.
That helps with my side by side as well. If you don't they pretty much will do nothing in reverse. Like you say when you tilt up the prop wash goes under the boat and for me doesn't really seem that bad then.
Wildman_grafix is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 AM
  #7  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
wieland77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 475
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Gotcha, misunderstood the first time reading, sorry. Thanks for the info guys and will let you know how it performs after switching
wieland77 is offline  
Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 AM
  #8  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 5,322
Likes: 0
Received 111 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
That helps with my side by side as well. If you don't they pretty much will do nothing in reverse. Like you say when you tilt up the prop wash goes under the boat and for me doesn't really seem that bad then.
Agreed, a little up from neutral does make a difference. Side by side here as well, high X and spin them in.
RaggedEdge is offline  
Old 08-19-2019, 07:41 AM
  #9  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
wieland77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 475
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

After switching them around I definitely gained some bow lift and probably 3-4 mph too. It was flat water and full on fuel so might be a touch more than that. Was worth the time of switching them for sure
wieland77 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.