Fountain 38' 2000 Fever vs Fountain 38' 2004 Lightning >

Fountain 38' 2000 Fever vs Fountain 38' 2004 Lightning

Notices

Fountain 38' 2000 Fever vs Fountain 38' 2004 Lightning

Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon
One of my best boating mates is in your neck of the woods with his wife for a few months to get away from the snow
They are at Ban Thanyanan Villas, Khanon District, Nakhon Si, Thammarat.
I have no idea how far away that is from your domain.
He is always good for a pint.

P.S. It was a single diesel VP DP

Last edited by uluru; 01-30-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:18 AM
Registered

Are the 500s enough power for a 38' Fever?
Old 02-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Registered

Default View 2000 FEver

Going to look at the 2000 Fever in the morning at Lake Cumberland Marine in Somerset, KY
Anything specific I should ask about boating in that area from a historical aspect of the boat?

Looks like nice country down here and certainly warmer than Canada.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a 32’ Fever and from the cockpit, it is really difficult to cross the windshield to get on the bow. The 38 has a bigger dash so I’m not sure how much easier that will make it to cross. The walk around windshield the lightning has is the way to go IMO.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Registered

Ibootin I have the same problem with my 29' Fever
Old 02-03-2020, 03:55 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by uluru
Ibootin I have the same problem with my 29' Fever
I forgot you mentioned that in your original post. I apologize.
Good luck today!
Old 02-03-2020, 04:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by uluru
Going to look at the 2000 Fever in the morning at Lake Cumberland Marine in Somerset, KY
Anything specific I should ask about boating in that area from a historical aspect of the boat?

Looks like nice country down here and certainly warmer than Canada.
Just looked at the LCM website, I assume that's the Fever they have listed on there.
Hopefully someone knowledgeable will jump in here, she's showing 850 hours.

In 20 years, it doesn't sound like a lot of hours/season but there's quite a bit of maintenance along the way with Merc Racing 'blue' engines. I think it all comes down to maintenance but with those hours, she'd need to be very well looked after or you could hit some significant expenses.

Come on, somebody with some mechanical knowledge please chime in with some good advice.

RR.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have stringers and transom checked for moister and rot. Fountains are known to have this issue. And the older the boat the more chances it has moister in the wood.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 342 Likes on 120 Posts

I had a 2000 38 Fever. Upside: It's a great handling boat and there is a ton of room in the cockpit. Also the rear bench offers passengers a great view of the water as they sit up pretty high. With the small steps you can turn the hell out of that boat without swapping ends. It almost turns as safe turning as a straight bottom boat. Downside: it's a 1980's design with a 1994 designed first generation stepped hull and frankly looks really dated compared to newer boats. It's about 3 mph slower than the lightning with the same power. With 500's you'd be lucky to see upper 70's unless they were fresh and the hull has no hook. That particular Fever is way overpriced IMO. It's a very high hour, run--of-the-mill graphics and overall looks.

The lightnings are much better looking boat, especially if they have the cut-down windshield. The larger steps will go faster but you have to be careful turning the semi-stagger boats as a few of them did swap ends. If the engines are sound that boat should run 90. There is not as much room in the cockpit and while your passengers will feel more secure in the much lower bench seat on the lightnings they won't be able to see out of it nearly was well.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Registered

Thanks Marginmn Very good points Does look dated but it is clean as I observed the boat this am. Large cockpit
Only thing done to upper end is the valve springs as far as I can determine. High hours are my major concern. Have to continue looking at other options before I pull the trigger. I have to say it looks bigger on the outside than it is in the cabin. Trailer is very heavy duty but I couldn't determine the manufacturer nor could the broker tell me who made it. No sticker other than FOUNTAIN on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.