Rotate motors during layup >

Rotate motors during layup

Notices

Rotate motors during layup

Old 04-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotate motors during layup

Anyone else bump their motors over during winter layup to prevent springs from being compressed for months at a time? I currently bump mine over once a month. Figured its better than letting it set for 6 or 7 months at a time. Especially in solid roller, big cam applications. To each their own, just curious if anyone shares the same practice.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I would consider popping the valve covers and backing the rockers off when you winterize, since you should have the VCs of every spring anyways to recheck the valves if, especially cam/springs are aggressive enough to have issues sitting
Old 04-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the response, seems like a good practice. Curious if others with high horsepower applications rotate the motors every month or couple months when not in use as seems to be common.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I tried it once. Made a mess when pink antifreeze burped out all over the floor. Wanted to pull valve covers and back off valve adj but exh manifolds have to come off with my setup. Said to hell with it. 6 seasons later and she still runs great. If I stored w/engs dry, I would probably do it after removing the belt for the raw water pump.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I always roll them over every couple of weeks.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never done that. Each time you bump it over you'll allow more oil to drain away from components. Cranking it long enough for oil pressure to build might be better.