Acquiring Minds With Pics

Notices

Acquiring Minds With Pics

Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Acquiring Minds With Pics

Fountain peoples,

Looking for some guidance on some thoughts and I'm fighting my own brain here. I'm looking for a boat to grow into and have for a long time. I don't usually bounce around boats that much and usually keep one for 10+ years or so at a time. Play, test, enjoy, break and repeat. My brother is a Huge Fountain Fan and Has my attention on them now as well. He's looking to purchase a 05+ 29 'In the future. I favor the Active Thunders but they are out of my realistic price range for my preferred length. (37"s)
I've looked at Fevers and even though they have wider cockpits and cabin space I prefer the walk rail on the sides. I'm located on the Chesapeake so Most will be bay running and Maybe a trip up towards Jersey for OPA races or Fun Runs at the Hudson and maybe a every other year down to the Keys. Another noteis I'll be upgrading from a 25' Single V if that matters.

-So what I'm looking into is a 35 or 38 Either Classic or Executioner Under the 60-70K Max range with decent reliable power. Preferably 502 Mags+.
And here are the big questions I have with them...
Q: Taking a Bimini Trip Prefer 35 or 38? ( Bad Time to Regret that extra 3' )
Q: Possible AC? My Wife Has Multiple Sclerosis and I need to be cautious of her getting to hot. Need a place to cool her off. Think Auto Immune disease, Can't just jump in any water with out risk of getting sick.
Q: Cabin Space differences make big impacts? We would use a decent amount if we have a little one with us for possible over night stays.
Q: Ride Difference between 35/38 "Stability" ( If Stuck in Rough Seas )
Q: Race Fairing or Windshield ( I think we prefer the Windshield )

Current Situation:
I'm currently looking at a '98 35' With 502MPI's and some extra's that's local to me. It's priced well but needs some work which offsets the price. Hasn't really been used in the last 3 years. But has been maintained at the marina where it's on dry dock. I don't mind drive, electrical, or engine work as I have that covered . The interior needs some work and replaced in a year or two. I won't mention which one or where this is, but before I waste the Sellers, mine and the Marina's time should I be worried about the Slight Gel Cracks that's under the drive or worth proceeding and starting the process with a Boat Survey. You guys knows these hulls better then I. Should I kindly walk away and spend more for a 02+ 35/38?

Thanks Yall!

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 06-02-2020 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
River Rat 164 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I would be worried about stress cracks below the drives. That’s not a typical spot. Go look at it and poke the bottom of the drive cutout with a screwdriver. You’ll know real quick. I have a 95 35 lightning which is executioner style. I like my race fairing over the lexan. Had a custom aluminum one made. Looks 1000x better. The v berth is plenty for me and the gf and I’m 6’2”. The ex style has a wrap around bench in cabin which I prefer over the straight couches in a 35 lightning. Also in the 35 ex style it has butterfly hatches Vs a single lift. Butterfly are much more friendly to working on it. I wouldn’t get rid of the 35 for a 38. The only worthwhile jump is 42.
KRAUSMOTORSPORTS (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

Double R has and old 40 that the ad states "109 hours showing on the clock This is as original factory piece as you are going to find"
A little extra money on fresh engines and head to Bimini!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
I would be worried about stress cracks below the drives. That’s not a typical spot. Go look at it and poke the bottom of the drive cutout with a screwdriver. You’ll know real quick. I have a 95 35 lightning which is executioner style. I like my race fairing over the lexan. Had a custom aluminum one made. Looks 1000x better. The v berth is plenty for me and the gf and I’m 6’2”. The ex style has a wrap around bench in cabin which I prefer over the straight couches in a 35 lightning. Also in the 35 ex style it has butterfly hatches Vs a single lift. Butterfly are much more friendly to working on it. I wouldn’t get rid of the 35 for a 38. The only worthwhile jump is 42.
Thank You. I was trying to avoid the jump to a 42 for easier docking along the Chesapeake waterways, restaurants ect. And maneuvering through marinas and such. Plus I keep it at home in the driveway. I can fit a 42. It’s just tighter then I’d like it to be. But thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by resurrected
Double R has and old 40 that the ad states "109 hours showing on the clock This is as original factory piece as you are going to find"
A little extra money on fresh engines and head to Bimini!
I did take a look. Definitely a cool classic but I’d like to stick to something 2000+ and newer. And stay around the 35-38 as I mentioned to Crude Intentions in the reply post.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I know that I'm going to catch some heat for this but absolutely check the transom and stringers. It's a known issue that they are wet.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
I know that I'm going to catch some heat for this but absolutely check the transom and stringers. It's a known issue that they are wet.
I understand the issues with Fountains and having wood issues. Replacing a transom I can handle, stringers, I’ll pass as that could go all the way up under the floor. Thanks Drock
Old 06-03-2020, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
I understand the issues with Fountains and having wood issues. Replacing a transom I can handle, stringers, I’ll pass as that could go all the way up under the floor. Thanks Drock
stringers in the engine bay don’t run all the way up. They meet the forward bulkhead. Shouldn’t be that bad.
KRAUSMOTORSPORTS (06-04-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Registered

Sounds like somebody purchased that 35 I posted a transom pic of. Which is good for the seller and good luck to the buyer. Crude the one I asked you about I’m still questioning. Had some bad news at the doc earlier this week so I haven’t made any phone calls. But would a 38 Fever converted to staggered be out of the question? If some glass work has to be fixed anyway from previous setup attempt. I did not find anything in the search or elsewhere of someone setting one up.

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 06-10-2020 at 01:49 PM.