Engine Pulling Tips >

Engine Pulling Tips

Notices

Engine Pulling Tips

Old 11-30-2022, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Engine Pulling Tips

I plan to get the top end of my 525efi rebuilt this winter and plan to pull the engine and send the whole thing to my brother in law in WI to do in his shop. He is going to pressure test the headers and rebuild the top end/check everything over.

Is there anything special I need to look for when pulling the engine that might be a gotcha? I have pulled a couple of car/truck engines in the past. I am going to prep the engine to be pulled and then take it to a buddies shop to use one of his loaders to pull it.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
I plan to get the top end of my 525efi rebuilt this winter and plan to pull the engine and send the whole thing to my brother in law in WI to do in his shop. He is going to pressure test the headers and rebuild the top end/check everything over.

Is there anything special I need to look for when pulling the engine that might be a gotcha? I have pulled a couple of car/truck engines in the past. I am going to prep the engine to be pulled and then take it to a buddies shop to use one of his loaders to pull it.
Not really but a couple things.

What size boat/ year? The coupler washer design changed so make sure you keep those (Bell housing to transom plate).
We normally like to check drive alignment before pulling, this will help to let you know if there are other issues.
If its first design CMI's, screw the pressure check, replace them. The pressure check is only good for right then, not fun to find out you have a leak 20 hours in the rebuild.
Good time to clean bilge and changes indicator cables, fix some of Fountains screwed up wiring, put in a oil change kit, etc.

The following users liked this post:
DrFeelgood (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

We normally like to check drive alignment before pulling, this will help to let you know if there are other issues.
Yes, this!
By checking my alignment prior to pulling motors, I found a rotted center stringer allowing sagging of a motor mount.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

What size boat/ year? The coupler washer design changed so make sure you keep those (Bell housing to transom plate).
If its first design CMI's, screw the pressure check, replace them. The pressure check is only good for right then, not fun to find out you have a leak 20 hours in the rebuild.
Good time to clean bilge and changes indicator cables, fix some of Fountains screwed up wiring, put in a oil change kit, etc.
2003 29 fountain Single 525 for the boat. I am looking for a set of headers as I have been told this as well.. I am just trying to find a good used set, Cant really afford the 7-8k for a new set.. I wish the stainless marine manifolds didn't require retapping the heads or i would just go with those and be done. Are there any other options here?

Old 11-30-2022, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

You will lose power with stainless marine or the Hardin replacements on a 525.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

how much do you pay for skilled labor.........
Old 11-30-2022, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
how much do you pay for skilled labor.........
I make decent old fashionds, but could work something out if you are interested in helping.